3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 2:28 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

How do I set a default in the delimited Import wizard for date?

Hi Community,

I currently try to import some delimited files to an SQL table via the Import Wizard (Right Click on a Table "Import Data...") with delimited files as Input (.dsv).

In Step 4 of the Wizard, I have to match the Source Columns of the Files to the target Columns of the Table.

Now here lies my problem. Whenever a target column has the format "date", I have to define the desired translation mask for every date column.

I would like to define a Default Mask so that the same format is always used.

From the UI, it looks like this field also exists:

field_greyed_out.png

However I cannot set it in the Wizard itself, and I am not able to find the option in the preferences.

I've tried the following preferences (Oracle SQL Developer 4.0.2):

Preferences-->Database-->NLS --> all 3 date preferences set to "HH24:MI:SS DD.MM.YYYY"

Preferences-->Migration-->Translators --> Default Source Date Format set to " HH24:MI:SS DD.MM.YYYY"

Preference --> Migration --> Data Move Options -->

DataMove.PNG

But still, I have to type it in every time.

Can someone explain how to set the default?

• 1. Re: How do I set a default in the delimited Import wizard for date?
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

You can't.

But.

In the next major release we're looking at:

• selecting common date formats from a drop-down selector
          • saving your import session parameters and reloading them for subsequent imports

I think you might have a good idea, maybe have it default to MRU. When we start the Early Adopter/Beta process, be sure to check it out and let us know what you think. For now, and what I do, I copy the date format string and paste them in as required. I'm not a super big fan of having defaults in 'automatically' added as it can lead to mistakes, and in this case, data corruption issues.

• 2. Re: How do I set a default in the delimited Import wizard for date?

Thanks for the quick feedback although it's not what I wanted to hear ;-)

My problem is that it's tedious to find the few date fields in tables that have very many columns and pasting the same date mask always manually

Is there a newsletter or something to stay up to date with the Beta Deployment/Availability?

And, as follow up question, for what is that Default field that I see in the wizard then?

• 3. Re: How do I set a default in the delimited Import wizard for date?
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

You need to review every single column, yes?

Is the date mask ALWAYS the same? Not everyone uses the same NLS_DATE_FORMAT at the client level, so I'm a bit dubious.

Newsletter - it's this forum. Keep coming back.

There is no default in the wizard, there's a dropdown list with like 5 or 6 formats to choose from, or you can type your own.

Having it be a MRU item is a possibility though. MRU - Most Recently Used. You type it once, it remembers going forward, becoming the new default. But again, I'm not super high on the idea of having a default date format.