2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2014 2:28 PM by Todd Little-Oracle RSS

SALT receiving sync connections and communicating with IC async

user9124248

Hi guys,

Could anybody (maybe Todd, =) ) tell me if it is possible to have the following architecture:

salt.jpg

Basically, we would like to have SALT receiving sync connections from clients, BUT, internally the requests being handled asynchronously.

Also, we would like to have async communication using \Q.

In a concrete way, SALT would receive a request from some client and would deliver it to some IC component. This IC component would do some work with the request, put it in some queue and return, becoming available to handle new requests. The appropriate SC component would take the request from the queue, do some work, put some job on another queue and return. Then we would have a CC component consuming some queue, doing some work and also posting on another queue. This process goes on, async, until some IC component delivers the response to SALT.

Best regards,

Caio Casimiro

• 1. Re: SALT receiving sync connections and communicating with IC async
          Todd Little-Oracle

Hi Caio,

Currently SALT doesn't support this directly.  There was an OTN Code project called something like RTMQFORWARD that sort of did the reverse of TMQFORWARD.  In other words, it accepted a service request, placed the request on a /Q queue, and then waited for a reply on another /Q queue.  Building such a server isn't hard, although this one had an administrative interface and was configurable as to what services it offered, etc.  The only major problem with doing something like this is that you may run into timeout issues.  You may have to carefully craft the blocking time values to make sure there is enough waiting time to allow requests to complete successfully. 

Also, we had considered this use case in the original design of SALT and the Tuxedo Service Metadata Repository, but it was never implemented in SALT.  If this would be of high value to you, I would suggest opening an enhancement SR are My Oracle Support to get it considered for a future version of SALT.

Regards,

Todd Little

Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect

• 2. Re: SALT receiving sync connections and communicating with IC async
            Todd Little-Oracle

Hi Caio,

One thing I forgot to ask, why do you want to use /Q between processing steps instead of just directly calling the services or forwarding the request to the next service in the pipeline?

Regards,

Todd Little

Oracle Tuxedo Chief Architect