1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 30, 2014 9:30 PM by user13098904 RSS

P6 Professional Setup Fails

After several attempts, I find the P6 Professional Setup always fails to complete successfully. Here's the background:

* Downloaded media pack V46368-01.zip and extracted to temporary directory

* Launched P6Pro.msi

* Followed dialogs, install proceeds until Status of 'Publishing Product Features' is reached

* Error message: 'Could not write value PM to key Products\63691DA67C538B34ABE9991AF209E95C\Features'

Workarounds I've tried:

* Disconnect from internet, disable anti-virus, run setup

* Clone a virtual machine of a clean Windows 7 installation and run setup in clone

Workarounds yield same result.

Using SysInternalsSuite Process Monitor, I can confirm that:

'RegSetValue' operation by process 'msiexec.exe' on path 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\63691DA67C538B34ABE9991AF209E95C\Features\PM' has a result of 'INSUFFICIENT RESOURCES'.

The probable cause is that the REG_SZ length is 1,076,266.

Any suggestions?

UPDATE - Possible Workaround

Although the doc claims a log file is created during installation, I never could locate one. So, after researching the command line options for the msi installer, I decided to force a log file to see if that would provided more detailed info on the problem.

I opened a command prompt (cmd.exe) as admin and executed the following:

msiexec /l PM.log /i p6pro.msi

Amazingly, the install completed without error! Just to ensure I had a clean install, I did an uninstall followed by an install:

msiexec /l PM.log /x p6pro.msi

msiexec /l PM.log /i p6pro.msi

Both completed without error and P6 is now installed. WTF! Leave it to Oracle to publish an installer which does not actually install correctly.

• 1. Re: P6 Professional Setup Fails
          user13098904

Raise an SR on it they usually respond very quickly and will share your desktop to resolve it. Obviously you must have a legitimate licence and a maintenance agreement. If You do not hen I suggest very strongly that you do it will save you lots of time and money in the long run :-)