1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2014 11:07 AM by jgarry RSS

Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed

Ashish Awasthi

Hello Everyone

Asking multiple question is allowed in a single thread?

I have seen in many threads that

OP posts a thread, got an correct answer but don't close thread

again asks a question and then again until he/she complete his/her task

so is it allowed or we should ask OP to open new thread for different question?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
          rohanwalia

Ashish Awasthi I have also seen this in many threads. Many users which ask questions doesn't close the thread and instead keep asking next question in the same thread and do not close it.

Well I guess, once user starts asking next questions, we should request him/her to open a new thread as this is a different question and close the current thread. So ideally there should be solution to one question in one thread, unless the next question is very closely related to the actual question.

Let moderators and other members also share their point of view.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
            Karthick_Arp

Yes true. If you come across such thread report it as abuse and specify the problem. Moderator has the option to branch the post as new thread. Or they could just lock it and instruct OP to open a new thread.

• 3. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
              EdStevens

rohanwalia wrote:

Ashish Awasthi I have also seen this in many threads. Many users which ask questions doesn't close the thread and instead keep asking next question in the same thread and do not close it.

Well I guess, once user starts asking next questions, we should request him/her to open a new thread as this is a different question and close the current thread. So ideally there should be solution to one question in one thread, unless the next question is very closely related to the actual question.

Let moderators and other members also share their point of view.

Thanks

There has to be some judgement on the part of all respondents, and especially on the part of moderators.  I have no problem with someone asking an obvious follow-up question even after they have an answer to their specific initial question.  But if the subject really starts to drift or, as we occasionally see, someone seems to want to use a running thread as their own personal online tutoring, then they need to be cut off.  Of course the opposite is generally what I notice most often, and that is the guy who opens multiple threads to ask the same question.

• 4. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                jgarry

I think thread drift is a good thing.  We are people, not computers.  Trying to stuff every communication into a little box prioritizes form over information propagation.  If it were than simple, you could just ask the computer (aside, of course, from questions where you ought to just ask the computer).

I know I'm in the minority in this, but I think back on some of the best threads ever here and on other fora, and they all drift.

The problem is that there is a low threshold for where the the complexity of a given issue requires more information than is given.  You can list a few general obvious things for a particular space (like version, platform and so on), but the general case is, if someone doesn't know the answer, they aren't likely to know the proper question.

There was a TV show called Connections.  It would go all over the place, to eventually wind up back on track.  And was better for it.

• 5. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                  BluShadow

I don't see it happen that often, but it does happen occasionally.

As already mentioned, if the person follows up the original question with further questions that are related in order to expand on what they're trying to achieve then that is generally acceptable, and it keeps all the current answers and information in context so people will have a better idea what it's about (this can actually be better than them posting it as a seperate question and people not having reference to what they've already discussed elsewhere).

If the question is clearly a completely seperate topic/question then of course this should be reported, and a moderator will take a look and see if they need telling to start a new thread, or it can be branched off etc.

Every discussion is different, so everything has to be looked at in context.

• 6. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                    Ashish Awasthi

Thanks for clarification

• 7. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                      EdStevens

Joel,

Absolutely.  That's where the "judgement" part comes in.  Thinking about it a bit more, I'd say natural thread drift is not a bad thing, but we all have seen threads where 'drift' became 'pivot'.  That would be characterized by the thread's OP completely changing subjects .. leading to the perception that he is expecting the forum to provide a free online training course.

• 8. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                        Catch 22

I think thread drift is a good thing.  We are people, not computers.  Trying to stuff every communication into a little box prioritizes form over information propagation.  If it were than simple, you could just ask the computer (aside, of course, from questions where you ought to just ask the computer).

I'd say it depends on the subject or type of discussion and digression can be normal or typical. However, when requesting a service it does not apply and is not a common practice. If you call for assistance for one thing you will have make a request and pay for another, or even ask someone else. If you call the plumber to fix the sink he is not going to fix the boiler for the same price or just because he's there. For the same reason I think it is a matter of courtesy when asking a question to close a thread, mark helpful and correct answers so far, and continue in a new thread if a problem drifts to a different area than initially anticipated.

I think people who want to sort all their computer problems in one thread are simply taking advantage of having found someone's ear or attention and friendliness, and I would consider pushing for the limits abusive.

• 9. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                          jgarry

Yes, I think you and Ed have explained the difference - it becomes abusive when they (or a hijacker) pivot away from the question.  I'm guilty of the abuse too.  I'm glad when it works to the benefit of all.

On the other hand, some questions aren't good questions and should be pivoted.  That's going to be a permanent issue with a wide range of experience across users.  Directing the newbie towards the correct question is often better than "RTFM" or arbitrary thread locks.

• 10. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                            Catch 22

Sorry I don't understand what "pivoted" means in this context. Can you give an example please?

A question or analysis could be wrong or misleading and require further investigation to find the direction, but once concluded, I see no reason not to close a thread and starting a new thread with the right question or analysis.

• 11. Re: Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                              EdStevens

Dude! wrote:

Sorry I don't understand what "pivoted" means in this context. Can you give an example please?

OP opens a thread trying to sort out a connection problem, say an ora-12154.  After pretty well beating it to death he suddenly posts a new message (same thread) about a problem with restoring from backup.

A question or analysis could be wrong or misleading and require further investigation to find the direction, but once concluded, I see no reason not to close a thread and starting a new thread with the right question or analysis.

• 12. Re: Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                                Catch 22

I think that would be unacceptable.

• 13. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                                  jgarry

In this context, a quick change in direction. 

verb

turn on or as if on a pivot.

"the sail pivots around the axis of a virtually static mast"

• 14. Re: Asking multiple question in a single thread is allowed
                                    Catch 22

It boils down to see the whole picture and do the right judgement when the issue occurs. I trust the moderators to do the right thing. I'm not a moderator, but I have made recommendations to start a new discussion about 2 or 3 times in the Oracle Linux forum during the last couple of years. Well, the forums are almost dead now, but I digress.

1 2 Previous Next