5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2014 3:27 PM by enelson-Oracle

apex_version.txt returing 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'

enelson-Oracle

I have installed APEX 4.2.5.00.08 and ORDS 2.0.8 on my laptop running Windows 7 64-bit.  Prior to loading APEX 4.2.5, I deinstalled APEX 4.0.2 which is pre-installed on 11g XE.

Here's the problem.  When I enter http://localhost:8080/apex_version.txt., it returns 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'.

And when I go to the APEX_ADMIN page, it is blank (http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin).  FYI, I am using ORDS 2.0.8 in standalone mode.

Q:  Any ideas why my apex_version.txt is returning 4.0.2?

When I look at my apex_version.txt file using an editor, it has a value of 'Application Express Version:  4.2.5'.

Why am I not seeing a value of 4.2.5?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: apex_version.txt returing 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'
          jariola

Hi,

For me it sounds that EPG is still running on port 8080 and serving "old/XE default install" APEX files from database.

Your ords install is not working at all or listening another port.

Regards,
          Jari

• 2. Re: apex_version.txt returing 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'
            enelson-Oracle

Jari -

Thanks.  I used the following command in sqlplus to turn off EPG:

EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETHTTPPORT(0);

Q:  Is this best practice for turning off EPG?

Now when I enter http://localhost:8080/i/apex_version.txt, ORDS is returning 4.2.5.  Thanks.

I'm making progress on the apex_admin blank page issue.  When I enter http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin, I now get:

503 - Service Unavailable

ORDS is running standalone.

Suggestions?

• 3. Re: apex_version.txt returing 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'
              jariola

Hi,

Yes, EXEC DBMS_XDB.SETHTTPPORT(0) is good way to disable EPG.

I have never try ORDS in windows.

I guess you start it from command line. Can you see any helpful message from output?

Maybe you recheck your config file.

Make sure that e.g. database user is unlocked and you have set password. And you have set same password when you did configure ORDS.

Regards,
              jari

• 4. Re: apex_version.txt returing 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'
                GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi,

I'm making progress on the apex_admin blank page issue.  When I enter http://localhost:8080/apex/apex_admin, I now get:

503 - Service Unavailable

ORDS is running standalone.

Suggestions?

The first time you run the standalone command, you will be prompted for the APEX images directory and the standalone listener port. These values will be saved in the apex.properties file in you APEX Listener configuration directory structure.

Check If the apex.properties file exists in the APEX Listener Configuration Directory, the port values and images location defined in this file will be used.

If it does just   reset the password and unlock the APEX_PUBLIC_USER. that should do the magic.

Regards,

Benjamin.

• 5. Re: apex_version.txt returing 'Application Express Version:  4.0.2'
                  enelson-Oracle

Jari & Benjamin -

Thanks, you both helped me find the problem.

If you want to run ORDS standalone on windows, you have to run the jar-jar ords.war command twice.  Step 1.5 in the ORDS 2.0.8 install guide neglects to tell you to add 'standalone' to the command line.  Details below.

Here's what I did to fix my issue with the blank admin_page:

- First, I cleaned out my ORDS context files (c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\apex).  The AppData directory may be hidden, so you will have to un-hide the directory/sub directory/files.

- Set your ords context:

- java -jar ords.war

- answer items such as db SID, db listener port ,etc

- if it doesn't ask for this information, you haven't cleaned your previous ORDS context data stored in the location specified above.

- ctl-c to return to your DOS prompt.

- Set your ords standalone context:

- java -jar ords.war standalone -- port <#> -- apex_images <physical location of your /i/ files>

- the ORDS listener is now running.

test

- localhost:8080\apex_version.txt (should return the appropriate apex version)

- localhost:8080\apex\apex_admin (should display your admin login page)

I'm now running ORDS (2.0.8) standalone on APEX (4.2.5).

I'm going to attempt to invoke a REST service on an EBS 12.2. instance.

Cheers.