6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2006 6:45 PM by 425156

which adapter to use to integrate 2 instances of oracle apps 11.5.10

We are using Oracle application server 10g integration interconnect(iSTUDIO) to integrate two instances in oracle apps 11.5.10 for the purpose of implementing customer data hub. We are not sure which adapters to use for this pupose. Whether it will be
      1. database adapters
      2. oracle application adapter
      3. Or any other adapters.

We have to use publish/subscribe messaging paradigm.
      Any kind of help is welcome
      Regards
      Sourav Biswas
        • 1. Re: which adapter to use to integrate 2 instances of oracle apps 11.5.10
          Devious Scully
          Hi,

Using publish/subscribe does not restrict your choice.

Unless there is a requirement to process/filter data, the options would be 1 or 2. You will find both the database adapter and the oracle apps adapter perform in a very similar way. Whichever one you choice will require you to write publish code and subscribing code (both PL/SQL packages).

One advantage of the oracle apps adapter could be the extra functionality provided with iStudio. Here you are able to select tables and/or API to help you define the common/application views. This may result in more accurate views.

Personally, I'd choose the oracle apps adapter because I feel as though that is the direction Oracle are going with their adapter development and, the database adapter may change in future releases of the product.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David
          • 3. Re: which adapter to use to integrate 2 instances of oracle apps 11.5.10
            Hi
            tell me one more thing. Is there any problem if we install both the adapters? Do we require to install separate adapters for every separate applications we need to integrate or installing just 1 adapter will do. Am asking this thing regarding integration of different instances of oracle apps 11.5.10
            • 4. Re: which adapter to use to integrate 2 instances of oracle apps 11.5.10
              Soubi,

You have 2 choices, but they have the same outcome. You need one adapter per target application.
              (a) Install 1 and 2 (= Two adapters)
              (b) Install 1, then use the copyAdapter script. (= Two Adapters)
              (c) Install 2, then use the copyAdapter script. (= Two Adapters)

As you will map from Source Application -> Common View -> Target Application in iStudio, you therefore need seperate adapters configured against each Application. However, using the copyAdapter script "clones" the adapter code. Once you have copied the adapter, configure it using adapter.ini to "point" to the correct application end point.

HTH

Yan
              • 5. Re: which adapter to use to integrate 2 instances of oracle apps 11.5.10
                Devious Scully
                Soubi,

Yan is right but to add a bit more.

Consider 2 application instances APP1 and APP2.

If you install an OA (Oracle Apps) adapter into an OracleAS Oracle Home and point to APP1, you must use copyAdapter to "clone" another adapter of the same type (e.g. another OA adapter) for APP2. I don't think the copyAdapter script runs any of the post installation steps either so, you'll have to run the OAI schema scripts to create the OAI schema on APP2. See the post_installation.txt file for more information. This is in the adapter home directory.

If you install an OA adapter for APP1 and decide to install a DB adapter for APP2, you can use the installation media to install both.

However, if you decide (for whatever reason) to install an OA adapter and a DB adapter for APP1, you should be aware that the installation of the second adapter will drop and recreate the OAI schema for the spoke database. If you have been using one of the adapters before the second install this may cause you problems.

Regards,

David
                • 6. Re: which adapter to use to integrate 2 instances of oracle apps 11.5.10
                  If you have two instances of 11i.10 then I assume you have strong Oracle PL/SQL developer base. If so why you want to pay for Oracle Applications adapter which I guess isn't free. You can pretty much acheive the same with two DB adapter which also keep it simple.

APP1-DB ----> Common View -----> APP2 DB

This way all you need to worry about is publishing and subscribing PL/SQL code.

Have you guys looked into Oracle Fusion BPEL solution? That may be another good option to consider but requires XML and Web Services skill set.

Regards,
                  Rajesh