4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2014 2:41 PM by JonWat RSS

Query and Update work, but not Merge

JonWat

Does anyone have any idea why the following does not work? (Version 11.2.0.1.0)

create table test(line_nbr number(3),source_line varchar2(100),proc_belong varchar2(40));

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line) values (1,'proc1   procedure');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (2,'  other stuff');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (3,'proc2   procedure');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (4,'  other stuff for proc2');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (5,'  other stuff for proc2');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (6,'proc3   procedure');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (7,'  other stuff for proc3');

insert into test(line_nbr,source_line)  values (8,'  other stuff for proc3');

A straight query works:

select l.line_nbr,z.procname

from test l

inner join

(select line_nbr start_line,lead(line_nbr) over ( order by line_nbr) - 1 to_line,procname

from

(select regexp_substr(source_line,'([^ ]*)',1,1,null,1) procname,line_nbr

from test

--where contains(source_line,'procedure',1) > 1 and substr(source_line,1,1) is not null

where lower(source_line) like '%procedure%' and substr(source_line,1,1) is not null      

)

)  z on l.line_nbr between z.start_line and nvl(z.to_line,9999)

;

An update based on that query works:

update test t

set proc_belong =

(select z.procname

from test l

inner join

(select line_nbr start_line,lead(line_nbr) over ( order by line_nbr) - 1 to_line,procname

from

from test

--where contains(source_line,'procedure',1) > 1 and substr(source_line,1,1) is not null

where lower(source_line) like '%procedure%' and substr(source_line,1,1) is not null

)

where l.line_nbr = t.line_nbr 

);

But a merge based on the same query fails with "No more data to read from socket":

merge into test t using 

(select l.line_nbr,z.procname

from test l

inner join

from

from test

)

) q

ON (t.line_nbr = q.line_nbr)

when matched then update set t.proc_belong = q.procname;

The original problem was also using a contains() with a Context index, but I took that out and it still fails, so that is not the problem.

Thanks,

Jon

• 1. Re: Query and Update work, but not Merge
          Frank Kulash

Hi, Jon,

Sorry, I can't reproduce the results on any version at hand.  In either 11.1.0.6.0, or 11.2.0.3.0, the MERGE statement merges 8 rows without error.  I'll be at an 11.2.0.1.0 database in about 5 hours; I'll test it then.

You shouldn't be able to cause that error if you tried.  I suspect there's a setup issue on your machine, or a bug.  Open a Service Request with Oracle.

Excellent post, by the way.

• 2. Re: Query and Update work, but not Merge
            Frank Kulash

Hi, Jon,

JonWat wrote:

This has nothing to do with your problem, but do you really need the NOT NULL test? 

If lower (source_line) is like '%procedure%', then you know that source_line is not NULL, and therefore the 1st character of source_line won't be NULL, and so the WHERE clause will be TRUE.

If lower (source_line) is not like '%procedure%', then the WHERE clause will be FALSE, regardless of whether substr (source_line, 1, 1) is NULL or not.

I don't know how CONTAINS works, but I suspect it won't return a positive number if source_line is NULL.  I'm guessing you don't need the test "substr (source_line, 1, 1) IS NOT NULL".  If you do, "source_line IS NOT NULL" would work as well.

• 3. Re: Query and Update work, but not Merge
              JonWat

Hi Frank,

The lines I'm interested in have the procedure name starting in the first column and the word PROCEDURE after any amount of white space. There are some other places where the procedure name does not start in the first column; it's in a sort of prototype section, and those ones I want to ignore.

Meanwhile I tried the merge on oracle xe at home (11.2.0.2.0) and it worked fine, so either it is a problem with that very specific version or there is some other problem local to my work environment.

Thanks,

Jon

• 4. Re: Query and Update work, but not Merge
                JonWat

Seems to have just been a "glitch". Even when I simplified the merge to the completely trivial it still gave the "no data to read from socket" error. If I copied to a second table (test2), it worked. When I deleted the original test and recreated it, it worked. I guess there was a totally corrupt plan cached that it kept on trying to use.