5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2014 11:03 AM by GhanaApexDeveloper

Multiple database connections via ORDS and the relationship to the images directory

Daggers

I have configured Oracle Rest Data Services and deployed the resulting war file via glassfish server.  I also created the images war file and deployed that.  This is for version 4.5 of APEX.

My question is what if I configure another database connection in ORDS which points to a version of APEX which is different to 4.5(the version the images have come from).  Am I going to have problems because the version of apex that I have connected to and the version that the images came from is different ?

• 1. Re: Multiple database connections via ORDS and the relationship to the images directory
          GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Daggers,

No you are not going to have problems provided you keep your installables simple with the release of Apex your trying to setup on difference instances.

The following works for me across three different databases - I have three separate entries under the Database settings node under the SQL Developer Listener configuration GUI.

dev - this is the connection that was set up by the Listener by default.

URL mapping simply has a "Request Path" entry with routing Rule of /dev and schema name of /dev <RESTful service name - in my case the same name of the APEX workspace>

(NB: This is only to facilitate REST - by default this will connect to the dev instance of APEX as this was the default credentials used to set up the Listener)

Therefore the URL is http://servername/apex by default.

uat - new entry created manually through SQL Developer

setup Connections node to point to your database as you would for any standard type of database connections

URL mapping simply has a "Request Path" entry with Routing Rule of /acc and RESTful Services schema of blank

The URL is then http://servername/apex/uat

prd - same as uat but with request path entry and Routing Rule of /prd

The URL is then http://servername/apex/prd

I like the request path setting rather than the full URL path as it is more flexible.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Benjamin.

• 2. Re: Multiple database connections via ORDS and the relationship to the images directory
            Daggers

Thanks for the reply Benjamin, are your installations different versions of apex ?  I know you can have multiple connections but can they be to different versions of APEX.

• 3. Re: Multiple database connections via ORDS and the relationship to the images directory
              GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Daggers,

Dev,Test,UAT,Prod should have the same versions of Apex - why should there be a change in any of the environments.

NB: All changes are replicated from the Development environment

It is always advisable to use the same instance of environment.

Hope it was helpful.

Regards,

Benjamin.

• 4. Re: Multiple database connections via ORDS and the relationship to the images directory
                Daggers

Thanks Benjamin,

Dev database talks to dev glassfish and Prod database talks to prod glassfish.  I am talking about a different dev database with a different release of apex talking to the same glassfish server.

Thanks

Steve.

• 5. Re: Multiple database connections via ORDS and the relationship to the images directory
                  GhanaApexDeveloper

Hi Daggers,

From my previous comments above, Make sure you setup a different war file for the new instance (different dev database with a different release of apex talking to the same glassfish server). Moving the ords.war and corresponding i.war to the same glassfish but the niche here is that it has to sit on a different port that was configure during the ords.war setup.

Example.

EXISTING DATABASE1 on a dev Server

URL mapping simply has a "Request Path" entry with routing Rule of /dev and schema name of /dev <RESTful service name - in my case the same name of the APEX workspace>

(NB: This is only to facilitate REST - by default this will connect to the dev instance of APEX as this was the default credentials used to set up the Listener)

Therefore the URL is http://servername:8080/apex by default.

EXISTING DATABASE2 on same dev Server

Therefore the URL is http://servername:8088/apex by default.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Benjamin.