4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 3:07 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Configure OCI/Thick driver in SQL Developer 4.0.3

user12861356

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring the OCI/Thick driver. I have tried with both Instant Client and Full Client:

SQL-Dev OCI.png

It takes all the options, when I make the changes it asks to re-start which I have allowed, but when verifying the change in Help/About/Properties it still shows disabled.

SQL-Dev OCI 2.png

We are having issues killing tasks or long-running queries. Whenever I kill the task either in the "Query Result" or the "Task Progress" windows SQL Developer becomes unresponsive and I have to terminate using Windows Task Manager.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Configure OCI/Thick driver in SQL Developer 4.0.3
          We are having issues killing tasks or long-running queries. Whenever I kill the task either in the "Query Result" or the "Task Progress" windows SQL Developer becomes unresponsive and I have to terminate using Windows Task Manager.

Not all queries can be 'killed'. Once a query is submitted to the server the server has control over it and, depending on the type of query, may continue executing it until it is completed.

As for 'unresponsive' - are you executing these queries in the background? If you select 'background' the task will be run in a separate thread than the one sql developer uses.

Any thread can only do ONE thing at a time. This is just same issue with any Java application that executes a long running task in the event dispatch thread instead of creating a new thread.

Try executing the tasks in the background and post SPECIFIC information about the query you are trying to 'kill'.

• 2. Re: Configure OCI/Thick driver in SQL Developer 4.0.3
            Gary Graham-Oracle

Speaking just to the configuration of the Oracle client, here are a some things to watch for...

1. Note there is a Test... button in the Configure Oracle Client dialog.

2. Always click on Test... and follow the advisories in Oracle Client Test Results tab of the Logging Page - Log

3. If you have not already used View > Log to open the Logging Page - Log, then Test... should automatically open it for you.

4. When configuring SQL Developer for a full or instant client, it must be an 11.2.0.3 or higher client.

Hope this helps,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 3. Re: Configure OCI/Thick driver in SQL Developer 4.0.3
              dbaOnTap

I would add to Gary's post:

5. Make sure you add the Instance Client directory to you PATH environment variable.

• 4. Re: Configure OCI/Thick driver in SQL Developer 4.0.3
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

What do you see when you hit the test button in the configure client dialog?

Also, what version of the client did you attempt to add?