9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 8:15 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Debugging in SQLDeveloper: how can I watch the entry of variables in a subprocedure in a stored procedure?

brigittetuerk

SQLDeveloper Version 3.0.0.4 and 4.0.3.16

Oracle Database Version 11.2.0.4

Windows7 with Oracle Client Version 11.2.0.2

I try to debug a stored procedure with sqldeveloper and want check the entries of the variables during the run. I can do this in DATA, WATCH and SMARTDATA if the code is in the main part of the stored procedure.

If the code is part of a sub procedure I see nothing in DATA or SMARTDATE and only Question marks in WATCH in the field "value" or "type". If the variables are defined in the subprocedure than I can see them in DATA or SMARTDATE and I see correct entries in WATCH.

Can you say me how I can see the entries of the variables in DATA, SMARTDATA or WATCH even if I not extra defined them in the sub procedure (this is very annoying and makes the SP bigger and bigger).

You can test it with following SP

create or replace

procedure      stuerk_debug

(   i_start_number      number              -- IN , Tabelle

)

is

v_a number(10) ; 

v_b number(10) ; 

v_c number(10) ; 

k1  number(10) :=6;

--

--  Prozedur Test - no varibales in DATA or SMARTDATA using variables which are not defined in the subprocedure

--

PROCEDURE sdebug_nodata

is

begin

v_a :=i_start_number + k1;

end sdebug_nodata; 

procedure sdebug_data

is

v_x number(10);

v_xk1 number(10);

begin

v_xk1:=k1;

v_x :=i_start_number + v_xk1;

end sdebug_data;

--

--  MAIN Session

--

begin

v_b :=i_start_number + k1;

sdebug_nodata;

sdebug_data;

end stuerk_debug; 

And here a picture of WATCH when I execute a statement in the sub procedure sdebug_data. There is a valid entry for v_x which is defined in this sub procedure but there is no valid entry for v_a, which is only defined in the main procedure.

Thanking for any help

Brigitte Türk