8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 5:04 PM by Gamblesk

SDSQL and cygwin

Gamblesk

Just curious if there is any intent to get this tool working under something like Cygwin?

I currently use sqlplus running in a bash shell using cygwin but SDSQL does not work. It displays the same behavior as the previous version did when it appeared to just hang.

I can connect just fine but running a query produces no output.

#-> ./sdsql dba_monitor/xxxxxxxxl@xxxxx

sdsql: Release 4.1.0 Beta on Thu Dec 18 11:07:25 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> select 1 from dual;

• 1. Re: SDSQL and cygwin

Gamblesk wrote:

Just curious if there is any intent to get this tool working under something like Cygwin?

I currently use sqlplus running in a bash shell using cygwin but SDSQL does not work. It displays the same behavior as the previous version did when it appeared to just hang.

I can connect just fine but running a query produces no output.

#-> ./sdsql dba_monitor/xxxxxxxxl@xxxxx

sdsql: Release 4.1.0 Beta on Thu Dec 18 11:07:25 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> select 1 from dual;

You forgot to post the script you are using. No one can debug or try to reproduce your problem without it.

Also post the results of MANUALLY executing the script.

• 2. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
            Gamblesk

There is no script. I connected using sdsql and ran select 1 from dual.. what script do you think you are not seeing?

• 3. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
              There is no script. I connected using sdsql and ran select 1 from dual.. what script do you think you are not seeing?

The script you referred to when you said this:

I currently use sqlplus running in a bash shell using cygwin but SDSQL does not work.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant?

This simple batch script on Windows doesn't hang but it also doesn't spool anything or exit sql*plus

sdsql scott/tiger@testDB

spool test.txt

select 1 from dual

spool off

exit

• 4. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
                Gamblesk

I use Cygwin which is a unix like emulator. Running in a bash shell under that is where I spend all my time. I am not a fan of the cmd in windows and have been using Cygwin for years so its a hard habit to break.

No script involved I am just typing what you see below. I was more asking a question if I should expect it to work under Cygwin or that is not even on the radar.  I was not intending for anyone to try and debug it.

Reason I asked is they mentioned this was a replacement for sqlplus. If they have no intention of making it work with Cygwin (which sqlplus does) thats cool I can either continue doing what I am already or start using sdsql directly under windows.

sqlplus user/password@sid

select 1 from dual;

exit

Works

sdql user/password@sid

select 1 from dual;

Hangs right here.

• 5. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
                  thatJeffSmith-Oracle

We won't be testing for it. But if it supports Java, it should work.

• 6. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
                    Gamblesk

Thanks for the response. It does support java but its not working.  Like I mentioned above if I decide to use SDSQL I can make the switch to using it directly under windows.

I saw an email with another question you asked about why I am using it under an emulator but I do not see the post here.

I run SQL Developer natively in Windows and I have a lot of reports that I use.   It is just SQL plus and other scripts that I run through Cygwin.  Sometimes it is just faster to log in quickly with Sqlplus and run a script than it is to maximize SQL Developer, click on the reports etc. Besides I am a dinosaur and sill prefer SQL plus for some things.

• 7. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
                      Turloch O'Tierney-Oracle

Hi Gamblesk,

Jeff has said we do not test this.

It is the terminal setting, (rather than a conflict with Cygwin/bash).

You can use sdsql non interactively: sdsql scott/tiger@database @script arg1 arg2

or from a bash prompt within the Microsoft "command prompt" window.

Turloch

-SQLDeveloper Team

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: SDSQL and cygwin
                        Gamblesk

from a bash prompt within the Microsoft "command prompt" window.

Thanks that is a good work around.