1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 8:53 AM by BluShadow

Issues with procedure!

user782973-Oracle

Hi, Can someone help me understand whats wrong with my procedure.

CREATE OR REPLACE procedure VALID_PROC( START_DATE IN DATE, END_DATE IN DATE)
      IS

cursor c1 is 
      SELECT * FROM EMP
      WHERE HIREDATE BETWEEN TO_DATE('01-01-85','DD-MM-YY') AND TO_DATE('01-01-80','DD-MM-YY');
      c_row c1%rowtype;
      BEGIN
      OPEN C1;
      fetch c1 into c_row;
      if c1%notfound then 
      endif;

INSERT INTO emp_back(empno,ename,job,mgr,hiredate,sal,comm,deptno)
      VALUES(c_row.empno,c_row.ename,c_row.job,c_row.hiredate,c_row.sal,c_row.comm,c_row.deptno);

commit;
      close c1;
      END;
      /

• 1. Re: Issues with procedure!
          Frank Kulash

Hi,

That depends on what "wrong" means to you.  What is the procedure supposed to do?  What is it doing differently?

Whenever you have a question, please post a little sample data (CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements, relevant columns only) for all the tables involved, and the exact results you want from that data, so that the people who want to help you can re-create the problem and test their ideas.  (If you're using the Oracle-supplied scott.emp table, you don't need to post CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements for it; just make it clear what you're doing.)

If you're asking about a DML operation, such as UPDATE, then the INSERT statements you post should show what the tables are like before the DML, and the results will be the contents of the changed table after the DML.

Explain, using specific examples, how you get those results from that data.

Always say what version of Oracle you're using (e.g. 11.2.0.2.0).

See the forum FAQ:  Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

You're using 2-digit years; that's always a mistake,

• 2. Re: Issues with procedure!
            ascheffer

Try to spot the difference with this:

is

begin

insert into emp_back(empno,ename,job,mgr,hiredate,sal,comm,deptno)

select c_row.empno,c_row.ename,c_row.job,c_row.hiredate,c_row.sal,c_row.comm,c_row.deptno

from emp c_row

where hiredate between start_date and end_date;

end;

It might give you a clue to what's wrong with your procedure

• 3. Re: Issues with procedure!
              John Stegeman

ooh - exclamation point in the title, must be important.

First, before I even read your procedure - why do you think there is something wrong with it? Did you get an error? If so, why didn't you tell us?

Secondly, there are lot's of problems...

1). Why are you using 2 digits to represent a year?

2). You just blindly skip over the case if there is no record found

3). You don't use the parameters you passed in

4). Committing inside a stored procedure is often not the right thing to do

5). Using PL/SQL when you didn't need to

6). Not processing all of the rows in the cursor (assuming that was your intent)

There may be more, but those jumped right to mind

• 4. Re: Issues with procedure!
                user782973-Oracle

Hi John, I do get a lot of errors. First i tried using dynamic values which didn't work and hence tried static dates.

IS
                cursor c1 is 
                SELECT * FROM EMP
                WHERE HIREDATE BETWEEN TO_DATE(START_DATE,'DD-MM-YY') AND TO_DATE(END_DATE,'DD-MM-YY');
                c_row c1%rowtype;
                BEGIN
                OPEN C1;
                fetch c1 into c_row;
                if c1%notfound then 
                endif;
                INSERT INTO emp_back(empno,ename,job,mgr,hiredate,sal,comm,deptno)
                VALUES(c_row.empno,c_row.ename,c_row.job,c_row.hiredate,c_row.sal,c_row.comm,c_row.deptno);
                commit;
                close c1;
                END;
                /

And i tried

select TO_DATE('01-01-80','DD-MM-YY') from dual;

which gives me date. So not sure what you meant by "2 digits to represent a year".

• 5. Re: Issues with procedure!
                  user782973-Oracle

Hi Frank, My apologies, will surely follow instructions. I was trying to create a procedure which inserts values based on 2 dates. I'm using oracle scott.emp data.

• 6. Re: Issues with procedure!
                    user782973-Oracle

Thanks Ascheffer! That helps. However the validation fails and still gives errors when i try and complile.

• 7. Re: Issues with procedure!
                      ascheffer
                      • select TO_DATE('01-01-80','DD-MM-YY') from dual; 

will give a date in 2080. Probably not what you want

• 8. Re: Issues with procedure!
                        Frank Kulash

Hi,

user782973-Oracle wrote:

Thanks Ascheffer! That helps. However the validation fails and still gives errors when i try and complile.

Don't you think it would be helpful to say what the errors are?

• 9. Re: Issues with procedure!
                          ascheffer

No need, I'm very good at guessing:

endif should be end if;

PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol ";" when expecting one of the following:

if
                          06550. 00000 -  "line %s, column %s:\n%s"
                          *Cause:    Usually a PL/SQL compilation error.
                          *Action:

And if you fixed that you wil get

PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "END" when expecting one of the following:

begin case declare exit for goto if loop mod null pragma
                             raise return select update while with <een ID>
                             <een scheidingsteken-ID tussen dubbele aanhalingstekens>
                             <een bindvariabele> << close current delete fetch lock insert
                             open rollback savepoint set sql execute commit forall merge
                             pipe
                          06550. 00000 -  "line %s, column %s:\n%s"
                          *Cause:    Usually a PL/SQL compilation error.
                          *Action:

because you forgot to put a statement after your if clause:

• 10. Re: Issues with procedure!
                            Frank Kulash

user782973-Oracle wrote:

And i tried

1. select TO_DATE('01-01-80','DD-MM-YY') from dual; 

which gives me date. So not sure what you meant by "2 digits to represent a year".

It means using a string like '01-01-80', where only 2 digits (e.g. '8' and '0') are supposed to indicate the year.

The trouble with 2-digit years is that you can easily get confused by 2 different years (in different centuries) having the same last 2 digits.  For example, the table might have data from 1980, but your procedure might be looking for data from 2080.

• 11. Re: Issues with procedure!
                              user782973-Oracle

Thanks Frank! Whats the right way of finding difference between two dates?

• 12. Re: Issues with procedure!
                                Solomon Yakobson

The right way is to use 4 digit year, use RR format or better use date literals. For example:

DATE '1980-01-01'

And BETWEEN works left to right, therefore start value must be less or equal to end value, therefore

WHERE HIREDATE BETWEEN TO_DATE('01-01-85','DD-MM-YY') AND TO_DATE('01-01-80','DD-MM-YY'); 

will never work. Use:

WHERE HIREDATE BETWEEN DATE '1980-01-01' AND DATE '1985-01-01'; 

And keep in mind, the above includes January 1, 1985. Somehow I have a feeling you want:

WHERE HIREDATE BETWEEN DATE '1980-01-01' AND DATE '1984-12-31';

SY.

• 13. Re: Issues with procedure!
                                  Solomon Yakobson

And one more thing. Why do you have literals in where clause? It sounds you should use procedure parameters:

WHERE HIREDATE BETWEEN START_DATE AND END_DATE;

SY.

• 14. Re: Issues with procedure!
                                    James Su

There's nothing between line 12 and 13. You need to have some code between IF and END IF

if c1%notfound then  

endif; 

BTW why don't you do a simple INERT...SELECT ?

1 2 Previous Next