11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 6:04 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor

cpe

There is no easy way in the editor to choose the CURRENT_SCHEMA you would like a query to run in .

There has been a very good extension for this, but it is not maintained anymore.

Why can't there be a little box close to the "Connection chooser" where you could choose the schema. Lets name it "Schema Chooser" and let it be a drop down box too.

Behind the scenes it would only be a "ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA=....."

Should be easy to implement. Don't you think Jeff?

Kind regards

Carsten

• 1. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT SCHEMA = ''

Add that as a sql editor code template, and you have what you need. Or vote it up in the Exchange.

• 2. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
            andreml

Hello Jeff,

Well,I have to contradict.

This is the kind of answer why I gave up the attempt to contribute the "Project Raptor" a long time ago. And it seems to me my decision what right.

Sometimes one get have the impression, there is a secret gentleman agreement to keep the usability gap to other tools as long as possible. Why, oh why?

The "holy" Exchange is not the appropriate place for such common practise needs.

We are talking about a GRAPHICAL User Interface, do we ?.

Such stuff should be a implicitness.

It seems, less has changed since Project Raptor. Too bad, a pitty - and a bit miserable.

Regards

Andre

• 3. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I'd rather be honest and open and have some upset people than placate everyone by saying, Ok we'll do that.

This is a standing item on the Exchange. People have voted for it.

At the moment we haven't implemented it as we want to keep the interface clean. Some tools have dozens of toolbars and make them harder to learn.

It's a decision we don't make lightly.

There are several workarounds to this, and folks can write their own extensions even to add this to the UI.

We do appreciate your feedback, holy or no.

• 4. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                cpe

Dear Jeff,

I tried to vote for it on the Exchange, but it gave me an authorization error from some APEX PLSQL whatever ...

So I didn't have a chance to.

Carsten

• 5. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                  cpe

Dear Andre,

thank you for your contribution.

I am trying to establish SQLDeveloper as THE query tool in the company, but these little things make it difficult, as we have a lot of end-users that areused to the T* tool, which offers such functionality.

Regrads

Carsten

• 6. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                    cpe

Dear Jeff,

is there any good ressource on the internet that could guide me to develop such an extension on my own?

Carsten

• 7. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

We  hope to put together an SDK for SQL Developer that goes alongside the 4.1 release. For now we just have some JDeveloper docs. But if you have specific quetions, you can put them here, or I can even intro you to a developer and do a quick phone call to answer some questions.

• 8. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                        andreml

Hello Jeff,

just some more notes:

1. Not every (in fact I would guess, rather the minior part) of SQL Developers users are Java Developers.

2. It is not clever at all that such elementary functionality (know from other tools) have to be developed over and over again by different people (and probably different quality)  via ad on just to meet such a general usecase.

3. To be clear: add ons are cool stuff to enrich the tool with (new, additional) functionality. It is bad (the wrong way) to compensate missing basic functionality needed and asked by many (in fact I would guess, rather the major part) of the users.

It may look like a small path to a right decision in some cases. But I bet, it is quite obvious in most cases to see the right way.

Keep on searching the right path. I will leave you alone now. I promise. :-)

Regards

Andre

• 9. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I guess where we agree to disagree is this
                          >>compensate missing basic functionality

I would say it's not basic functionality. You would say it is.

• 10. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                            1. Not every (in fact I would guess, rather the minior part) of SQL Developers users are Java Developers.

2. It is not clever at all that such elementary functionality (know from other tools) have to be developed over and over again by different people (and probably different quality)  via ad on just to meet such a general usecase.

3. To be clear: add ons are cool stuff to enrich the tool with (new, additional) functionality. It is bad (the wrong way) to compensate missing basic functionality needed and asked by many (in fact I would guess, rather the major part) of the users.

It may look like a small path to a right decision in some cases. But I bet, it is quite obvious in most cases to see the right way.

AFAIK the primary reason for sql develper's existence is to: facilitate the conversion from 3rd party databases to the Oracle database. Other functionality, when provided, is just icing on the cake.

If you have a project where you are converting from another database to Oracle Sql Developer can usually help you do MOST of the initial work.

If you are looking for a general-purpose sql development tool then Sql Developer may not be the tool for you.

• 11. Re: 4.1EA1: Missing a schema-chooser in the editor
                              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

>>AFAIK the primary reason for sql develper's existence is to: facilitate the conversion from 3rd party databases to the Oracle database.
                              No. We are the Database IDE. We have 4 million active users. They're not doing 3rd party db migrations.

>>If you are looking for a general-purpose sql development tool then Sql Developer may not be the tool for you.

Actually, that's our intent and mission. For SQL & PL/SQL development, database administration, data modeling, and database migrations - to be the tool for most folks. For free.