1 2 3 4 Previous Next 110 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2018 3:25 PM by RichardGar Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Rookie Mistakes
        Kristin Connell

I've made several and seen more than several... My most recent was last year (yes, IMO, even after six years in the system, you can still make "rookie-like" mistakes).

Last year, I modified all of our integration calls to sync on the 18 digit SFDC ID, tested and it appeared all good. However, I just discovered I forgot to remove the "use case sensitive comparison" criteria on our Company/Contact linkage (still an old school deduplication handler set). I have over 10K contacts w/ possibly suspect links to companies. DUH!

Lesson? A second set of eyes on a test case matrix is always a good idea! GAH!

One of the craziest I've ever seen? One user - at a VERY large enterprise client - deleted one of their many Hypersites. Not a landing page. Not 100 landing pages. The ENTIRE site! Of course, Eloqua was able to help them get it back online via the backup files, but it was chaotic for awhile! Lesson? ALWAYS read - and re-read - the pop-up warnings, especially before deleting!

• 16. Re: Rookie Mistakes
          czamora

Forgot to schedule a batch email and send it right away to thousand of contacts!!!

• 17. Re: Rookie Mistakes
            sze40

Accidentally clicking on " Send Plain Text Only" tickbox under the email setting. Proceed on to test on the HTML version and send out the email and thousands of text email were sent out instead of html ...

• 18. Re: Rookie Mistakes
              kevinmsowden

3 major rookie mistakes so far;

1) Being the only person trained or working with Eloqua at our company. The implementation has been more than challenge. With ROI pressures to get campaigns out, the biggest rookie mistake i have made is prioritising the wrong things at the wrong time resulting in spreading myself a little thing.  I feel there is still a long road ahead to solve this particular issue however im getting a little better as I'm working out what process leads onto what, and what process's can be run in parallel .

2) Requesting a password reset for the cloud connector site (not being allowed to set it to old password) i set it to something else. Unfortunately on the same day as a webinar invite went out. So all those who wanted to register for the webinar got stuck in the cloud connector waiting for the correct password. I luckily noticed about 45 mins before the webinar but i'm sure it affected attendance.

3) Third mistake was not spending enough time on Topliners earlier in the year. Took a while to understand the possibility of getting such varied advice so easily.

• 19. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                BrettG

Always, always back up your landing pages before copying and pasting updated code... especially for live pages.

• 20. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                  gregory_huckabee1

Building emails with 3 dozen text boxes and wondering why we have rendering problems.

• 21. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                    nserapio-Oracle

Echoing what many others have said. There's a lot of foundational work that needs to be done during day/week/month one (including setting up and understanding naming conventions, defining success metrics with the help of your immediate colleagues, etc.). Don't skip the groundwork -- it's important!

• 22. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                      Brian Boyd

^ This - so true.

• 23. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                        Sterling Bailey-Oracle

Nearly deleting our entire EMEA nurture microsite. Yikes! Luckily it didn't happen but the scare did lead to a great feature called recovery checkpoints. 

• 24. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                          allan.amadio

can't stress this enough - as much as naming conventions/folder structures... can get in the way - they are a blessing.

• 25. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                            mchljrdn

Believing everything will work as normal after a release.  The Lucy to my Charlie Brown...

• 26. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                              krissy_jones

When saving a form as a template in Eloqua you also need to save it as a form in the assets area because these are two different entities within Eloqua.  Either I missed this in my class or I completely forgot about it until I had to update templates.

• 27. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                                Tero Rantaruikka

Thinking that pdf. download tracking will work just by creating the link.

• 28. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                                  Jon Cooper

Setting a field as mandatory during smart start and wondering why you have a draft error stating a field is mandatory!

• 29. Re: Rookie Mistakes
                                    smanos

Adding a filter to an active segment and forgetting to check its dependencies

1 2 3 4 Previous Next