1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 7:32 PM by Gianni Ceresa

OBIEE 11g: Left Outer Join

Sudipta Chowdhury

Hi Guys,

I have small query regarding the setting up the left outer join in RPD.

Suppose, I have a fact table (F1) and a dimension table (D1), I will have to define left outer join between F1 and D1. like:

select * from F1

left outer join D1 on

F1.Emp_ID=D1.Emp_ID

I could see three places where I can define the same.

1. I can add the Fact table into my Dimension Table LTS and set left out join.

2. I can add the Dimension table into my Fact Table LTS and set left out join.

3. While defining the Business join in BMM layer, there also same can be defined.

I would like to know, what is the difference between these three ways, any advantage or disadvantage if I am using any of it.

• 1. Re: OBIEE 11g: Left Outer Join
          Gianni Ceresa

Honestly for me it sounds "obvious" that the "keep it stupid simple" approach is the one to use.

All the 3 have different meanings, provide different answers for different requirements.

For a "standard" outer join you definitely must start by the one in the Business model diagram, when you draw the join between Fact and Dim, that's a standard simple outer join between a fact a dimension.

This is also the easiest to maintain.

If you start playing with LTS I would say you must a real need and model built to work in that way.

Just for the example: adding you dim in the fact LTS => your dimension is into the Fact logical table, you don't have a dimension anymore. Without a dimension OBIEE will not validate your model.

With the opposite you are bringing fact columns into the dimension, if you don't add at least a column of the fact table source into the logical table of the dimension you have a warning.

Both these solutions are not clean, generate warning during the consistency check and are a perfect source of huge issues in the future when you are going to expand your model.

PS: do we agree you must not have a single warning in your RPD, right? (not that it doesn't work with warnings, but doings things right now it's the best way to avoid problems tomorrow)