I'm not aware of any way to make oracle use DNS for name resolution. However if the hostname is the same as the SID and the default port (1521) is used then the EZCONNECT syntax lets you specify just the host name.
For example, sqlplus u/p@orcl
You don't say what connection details you are trying to use in SQL Developer, or what error you are receiving.
In my tests was not possible
And what, exactly, does 'not possible' mean?
Post the FULL details including
1. sql dev version
2. DB version
3. connection details you are using/trying - including the type (basic, oci, etc) of connection
4. platform name and version
5. what 'tests' you are referring to that you tried and the EXACT results you got
6. the results of 'tnsping' to your db from the sql dev platform
Works in the 'connect' command in SQLDeveloper and command line.
Does not work in SQLDeveloper graphical command where you fill in test and save port host and service details in a graphical user interface.
Tip - you can name your service name whatever you like and set it as the default
- this is how @machine works for 22.214.171.124 XE 64bit for windows, where the service name =XE
DEFAULT_SERVICE_LISTENER = (XE)