1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2015 6:32 AM by Eslam_Elbyaly

Unable to create an instance of jvm

Eslam_Elbyaly

hi ,

sqldeveloper-4.0.2.15.21 ,

when i click the sqldeveloepr file , i face this error

Unable to create an instance of java virtual machine located at path :

c:\program files \java\jdk\1.7.0_65\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll

?

thanks

• 2. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
          zakir.idb.bd

Install upgrade version of JAVA and set the java home path correctly.

• 3. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
            Eslam_Elbyaly

it was working without update

• 4. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
              Eslam_Elbyaly

any help ? ,

i update my java vainly .

• 5. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

what was working without update?

what do you have set for your java home in the product.conf file?

1 person found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                  Eslam_Elbyaly

when everything was working fine , i have not set anything ,

tell me , please where can i find this product.conf file ?

• 7. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                    thatJeffSmith-Oracle

search the forums, you'll find at least a half dozen posts describing this

forum_search.png

• 8. Re: Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                      Eslam_Elbyaly

this is my product.conf file

##############################################################################

#

# The format of this file is:

#

# Directive  Value

#

# with one or more spaces between the directive and the value. This file

# can be in either UNIX or DOS format for end of line terminators. Use UNIX

# style '/' path separators, although on Windows some directives, such as

# SetJavaHome, can take '\' path separators.

#

##############################################################################

#

# By default, the product launcher will search for a JDK to use, and if none

# can be found, it will ask for the location of a JDK and store its location

# in this file. If a particular JDK should be used instead, uncomment the

# line below and set the path to your preferred JDK.

#

SetJavaHome C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_65

#

# Specify the initial size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool. This

# value must be a multiple of 1024 greater than 1MB. Append the letter k

# or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes, or g or G

# to indicate gigabytes. The default value is chosen at runtime based on

# the system configuration.

# Examples:  -Xms6291456

#            -Xms6144k

#            -Xms6m

#

# You can specify one value for any JDK using AddVMOption, OR you can specify

# separate values for 32-bit and 64-bit JDK's.

#

AddVMOption -Xms128m

# Add32VMOption -Xms128m

# Add64VMOption -Xms128m

#

# Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool. This

# value must be a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append the letter k

# or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes, or g or G

# to indicate gigabytes. The default value is chosen at runtime based on

# the system configuration.

# Examples:  -Xmx83886080

#            -Xmx81920k

#            -Xmx80m

# On Solaris 7 and Solaris 8 SPARC platforms, the upper limit for this value

# is approximately 4000m minus overhead amounts. On Solaris 2.6 and x86

# platforms, the upper limit is approximately 2000m minus overhead amounts.

# On Linux platforms, the upper limit is approximately 2000m minus overhead

# amounts.

#

# If you are getting the 'Low Memory Warning' Message Dialog while running

# the product, please increase the -Xmx value below from the default 800M to

# something greater, like 1024M or 1250M.  If after increasing the value,

# the product is no longer starting up because it fails to create a virtual

# machine, then please reduce the modified -Xmx value, or use a 64bit JDK

# which allows for very very large value for -Xmx.

#

# You can specify one value for any JDK using AddVMOption, OR you can specify

# separate values for 32-bit and 64-bit JDK's.

#

AddVMOption -Xmx800m

# Add32VMOption -Xmx800m

# Add64VMOption -Xmx800m

and i can navigate to this path .

• 9. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                        Gary Graham-Oracle

You may want to try reducing the AddVMOption -Xmx value, especially if you are on a 32-bit Windows system.  Did you recently start running other large, memory consuming apps on your system?

• 10. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                          Eslam_Elbyaly

AddVMOption -Xmx value -- which is ?

2- should it be an environment variable points to java ? i have no one ?

• 11. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                            Gary Graham-Oracle

Apparently your current default of AddVMOption -Xmx800m is too large.  Try making it smaller, but at least as large as the -Xms value.

Actually, the product.conf comments make this all pretty clear...

# If you are getting the 'Low Memory Warning' Message Dialog while running

# the product, please increase the -Xmx value below from the default 800M to

# something greater, like 1024M or 1250M. If after increasing the value,

# the product is no longer starting up because it fails to create a virtual

# machine, then please reduce the modified -Xmx value, or use a 64bit JDK

# which allows for very very large value for -Xmx.

• 12. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                              Eslam_Elbyaly

there is two lines for " AddVMOption " , i made them 500 , and the program worked .

thanks a lot

• 13. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                                Eslam_Elbyaly

oops , it failed to work again , tried to change to 128 , 256 , 1024 , 500 , 800 , all failed .

• 14. Re: Unable to create an instance of jvm
                                  Gary Graham-Oracle

Probably you have a 32-bit Windows version (you never said one way or the other) with other applications running that somehow take specific ranges of memory which prevent Java from getting the required amount of memory to create the JVM instance.

I would try checking Task Manager for the applications and services currently running, and close or stop any not needed.  Possibly you may even try rebooting to make sure memory is as empty and un-fragmented as possible before running SQL Developer.  If your Windows is already 64-bit, then I would be very surprised indeed you are experiencing such issues.

1 2 Previous Next