11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 12:30 PM by user11983020

Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl

user11983020

I am performing a database upgrade from 11gR2 to 12c following the steps identified in Oracle Interoperability Notes EBS 12.2 with Oracle Database 12c.  When attempting to execute step 28. $adop phase=apply patches=19007053 apply_mode=downtime, the session fails with:

Creating FND_INSTALL_PROCESSES
      table...

Running adtasktim.sql ..

ERROR:

ORA-01017: invalid
      username/password; logon denied

An error
      occurred while Running adtasktim.sql.

I note there are (2) copies of this file on the host.  I edited both of them to manually force the connect applsys/<pass>, but still get the same error.  I can access the database from the command line using sqlplus applsys/<pass> and then execute the adtasktim.sql without error.  I have searched everywhere for a resolution to this issue.  My adop session is now in an unusable state and I cannot continue.  I am quite certain that until the root cause of this issue is corrected, I will not be able to complete the step for recompiling the APPS schema, and this upgrade is doomed.

I verify that I get this same error when attempting to run adctrl.  I have tried using FNDCPASS to change the applsys password, and verify after running it that I can access the database via sqlplus from the command line, but the adop session and adctrl continue to fail with this same error.

These features all worked fine before the database upgrade.  I am suspecting some database security setting.

• 2. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
          user11983020

I have opened an SR.  Hoping someone else may have run into this and can help;

• 3. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
            Kj - Kiran Jadhav

Have you verified value of sec_case_sensitive_logon parameter?

-Kj

• 4. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

This could be related to the value of SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON so please verify as mentioned by Kj.

If this init parameter is set to FALSE you shouldn't be hitting this error. If the value is set to TRUE, then please make sure you have completed the steps under "Section 3: Known Issues" from (Interoperability Notes Oracle EBS 12.2 with Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (Doc ID 1926201.1)).

Also, please confirm that you see no (ORA-32004: obsolete or deprecated parameter(s) specified for RDBMS instance) errors in the database alert log file.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 5. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                ora_tech

Hi,

In addition to notes provided by Hussein please refer section "3.3 - Application Database accounts Expired & Locked" from my blog:

12cR1 Upgrade in Oracle Applications EBS R12.2 - Oracle - Oracle - Toad World

thanks,

X A H E E R

• 6. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                  user11983020

Thank you.  I did find this parameter set to "TRUE", so altered it to "FALSE".

• 7. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                    user11983020

Thank you.  I had found the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter set to TRUE; I modified it to be FALSE.

I do not find any database alert log:

SQL> show parameter backgroun

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
                    ------------------------------------ ----------- ------------------------------
                    background_core_dump                 string      partial
                    background_dump_dest                 string      /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/rdbms/log
                    SQL> !ls -ltr /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/rdbms/log/al*
                    ls: cannot access /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/rdbms/log/al*: No such file or directory

As you mentioned that I should not encounter this error if the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVITY_LOGON was FALSE, I am attempting to run the adop session again (with fingers crossed).

• 8. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                      ;) ApPsMasTi ;)

It is in $ORACLE_BASE/diag/rdbms/<sid>/<sid>/trace and is named alert_<sid>.log

If you don't have $ORACLE_BASE, this typically is equivalent to $ORACLE_HOME/../../..

AppsMasti
                      sharing is Caring

• 9. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                        user11983020

Thank you.  After completing the database upgrade, and post-upgrade steps in the Interoperability Note, when restarting the database I now get the error you told me to look out for:

[oracle@vm-qa-1223 ~]$ start.sh

You are running addbctl.sh version 120.1

Starting the database VIS ...

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Sun Mar 22 19:13:14 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.
                        ORA-32004: obsolete or deprecated parameter(s) specified for RDBMS instance
                        ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 2147483648 bytes
                        Fixed Size                  2926472 bytes
                        Variable Size            1392511096 bytes
                        Database Buffers          738197504 bytes
                        Redo Buffers               13848576 bytes
                        Database mounted.
                        Database opened.
                        Disconnected from Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
                        With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

addbctl.sh: exiting with status 0

Logfile: /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/appsutil/log/VIS_vm-qa-1223/addlnctl.txt

You are running addlnctl.sh version 120.4

Starting listener process VIS ...

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production on 22-MAR-2015 19:14:10

Copyright (c) 1991, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Starting /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production
                        System parameter file is /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/network/admin/VIS_vm-qa-1223/listener.ora
                        Log messages written to /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/admin/VIS_vm-qa-1223/diag/tnslsnr/vm-qa-1223/vis/alert/log.xml
                        Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=vm-qa-1223.strsoftware.com)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=vm-qa-1223.strsoftware.com)(PORT=1521)))
                        STATUS of the LISTENER
                        ------------------------
                        Alias                     VIS
                        Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production
                        Start Date                22-MAR-2015 19:14:10
                        Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 0 sec
                        Trace Level               off
                        Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
                        SNMP                      OFF
                        Listener Parameter File   /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/network/admin/VIS_vm-qa-1223/listener.ora
                        Listener Log File         /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/admin/VIS_vm-qa-1223/diag/tnslsnr/vm-qa-1223/vis/alert/log.xml
                        Listening Endpoints Summary...
                          (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=vm-qa-1223.strsoftware.com)(PORT=1521)))
                        Services Summary...
                        Service "VIS" has 1 instance(s).
                          Instance "VIS", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                        The command completed successfully

addlnctl.sh: exiting with status 0

addlnctl.sh: check the logfile /oradb/VIS/12.1.0/appsutil/log/VIS_vm-qa-1223/addlnctl.txt for more information ...

[oracle@vm-qa-1223 ~]$

Though the database appears to have started and I can access it via sqlplus.  I also am able to start APPS and have it connect as well.  Would you please point me in the correct direction to clear this error condition?

• 10. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                          ORA-32004: obsolete or deprecated parameter(s) specified for RDBMS instance

Please review the database alert log file for the list of init parameters you need to remove from your pfile/spfile -- Database Initialization Parameters for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Doc ID 396009.1)

Thanks,

Hussein

• 11. Re: Oracle Database Upgrade to 12c - ORA-01017 - adop | adpatch | adctrl
                            user11983020

I managed to find the database alert log file, but it appears to still be generated in the 11gR2 ORACLE_HOME.  Interestingly, it appears this parameter you had me set to FALSE so that adop would run, is the culprit:

Deprecated
                            system parameters with specified values:

sec_case_sensitive_logon

End of deprecated system parameter listing

So it looks like 12c requires all passwords to be case sensitive.  That means following the steps already provided in this discussion for FNDCPASS, which I will undertake once I'm satisfied the database and APPS are playing nice.  Thank you so much for your help.