10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 8:38 PM by rmoff

creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas

Hi All,

We are using OBIA 10g financial analytics.

We need to create custom query from multiple financial analytics Subject Areas.

How can we achieve that.

Second question is this: The Out of the box financial analytics does not show any result even without the OOB filters.

What could be the reason.

Regards

• 1. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
          Christian Berg

ad 1.) Union queries

ad 2.) Stupid question but was the underlying database loaded at all? I.e. is there data? Do you have caching enabled and there are cached queries with zero results?

• 2. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas

Sorry Christian, this is a very stupid reply you gave.

ad(1) We don't need a union because we know  how it works. But what we need is to be able to add more columns regardless of datatypes , etc from multiple Subject areas. Please tell us step by step how to achieve that from OBIA 10g Bi server Financial analytics perspective.

ad(2) This is another very very stupid reply because the OLAP DB has all the data when you query it. The cache was cleared still no data.

Please let us know if you have another tangible but not stupid answer that can help us.

• 3. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
              Gianni Ceresa

Hi 1003109,

It looks like you easily flag things as stupid ... but you are still the one having the issue ....

If union queries is a stupid answer for your problem what kind of answer do you expect? Because, just to give you another "stupid" answer (as you will probably point out in your next message) that's how OBIEE works if you need to have an analysis using multiple subject areas.

For your second question I give you another "stupid" answer because Christian already covered the TOP 3 reasons for people asking why they don't have data. Did you try to look at your log files to find what is the physical SQL and understand what OBIEE is asking to your DB, what your DB reply to your BI server and what your BI server send back to your screen? You are the one with all the elements to answer "what could be the reason" as you have all the logs.

• 4. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
                rmoff

Sorry Christian, this is a very stupid reply you gave.

[...]

ad(2) This is another very very stupid reply because the OLAP DB has all the data when you query it. The cache was cleared still no data.

[...]

Please let us know if you have another tangible but not stupid answer that can help us.

1003109 : way to go with complete lack of manners. Not only lack of manners, but also sheer ignorance. If you're going to insult people who you're asking for help, wouldn't the smart thing be to at least get the help from them *before* insulting them?

Please tell us step by step

PMSL. Yeah, right. Step by step. After the manners you just exhibited. Have you considered a career in comedy, if BI doesn't work out for you (which it doesn't look like it is so far)?.

BTW -- "Stupid question, but" - is a colloquial way of saying "I'm sure you've checked this already, but...". Maybe you misunderstood this. Either way, my point stands about being rude to people who are helping you. As Gianni Ceresa says, you're the one with the questions and asking for help.

• 5. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
                  BluShadow

*** moderator note ***

User 1003109

Please respect the fact that other members are attempting to help you.  Responding with insulting language is not appropriate for a professional forum.  Continuing with such language could result in you account being reported to the site administrator, which may result in it's termination.

*** end of moderator note ***

• 6. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
                    Christian Berg

Wow, I don't even know where to start on this one.

Gianni Ceresa and rmoff have already mentioned the most important aspects, but here's my 10 cents:

1.) You ask for help but do not supply any information to help you in any way. Hence...

2.) Hence you leave no chance except for guessing games which undoubtedly would lead you  to complain that the proposed actions or sources of the issue are pointless or "I tried that already adn it didn't work", thereby losing everyone's time.

3.) Thanks for calling me stupid multiple times in a row, I really appreciate that and I'm sure the forum administrators will too.

4.) Re union queries: See? As I said: you don't provide any information whatsoever but then, when a solution is offered you are pissed off and insult me because you already know about it and ask for "step by step" instructions in an even more pissed off way. Bad form, bad manners, bad education in interpersonal relations...choose two.

4.1.) Sub-point: So you're basically asking other people to do your job instead of learning while at the same time insulting those same people? Not sure which culture this concept will work in, but it's not the culture of anyone on this forum.

5.) Re data in the DB: See? Again: How was anyone supposed to know this? For the third time I can just say that you didn't provide any information leaving no one any chance of proper help but educated guess-work and again you were pissed of because "it's oh so logical that the DB contains data and that it isn't a caching issue". Well guess what - it isn't! We've had threads running for days or more until someone dared to ask the seemingly "stupid question" of "Is there acutally any data?" or "Have you checked your cache?". And lo and behold...that was the issue. If you don't tell anyone what you have checked and what potential problem sources you already eliminated in the proces, you will never get any useful (useful to you that is) information and you will continue to be pissed off and insult people due to your very won shortcomings.

6.) Read up on forum rules, general netiquette and maybe try not to behave like a 12-year-old World of Warcraft player.

• 7. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas

Hi Gianni

Yes I have flagged it so. Read reply from Christian Berg , I then replied him in same manner

• 8. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas

Thank rmoff for your understanding. A person like Christian Berg  should be stopped from commenting on this forum,

• 9. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
                          Gianni Ceresa

Hi 1003109 (sorry to not be able to call you in a more "human" way but there is nothing else than a number...),

As rmoff wrote earlier there was a misunderstanding and you took Christian Berg reply in a bad way: when he wrote "stupid question" he was referring to the one he was about to write and not yours...

Going back to your 2 original question (in the end it's the reason we are all here, no?):

- write a query using multiple subject area: why do we said union? Because if you reduce the scope to "from subject area" it means it will not be possible to do any change in the BMM to maybe build a new BMM with conformed dimensions etc. So it means the "query" (in the end it's an analysis) must be done only in the front-end. It's why there are not tons of options, doing a union and letting OBIEE doing aggregations can produce what you look for. You said you need to be able to add more columns regardless of datatypes: do you mean you have a same column coming from the 2 subject areas and they have 2 different datatypes and this produce an error because OBIEE complains about that?

- your second question is about no results / no data when doing an analysis. And here the only answer is what posted above: if you look in the logs and check the queries (both LSQL and physical SQL) do they look good? If you run the physical query by hand do you have data? So it can maybe be a security or credential issue? With only a "not show any result" without saying what you already checked and tested make it really difficult to give you a more precise answer.

PS: everybody is free to post on this forum and nobody must be stopped to post on here, and I'm sure the hundreds of users able to fix their problems thanks to Christian will not agree with you ... That's just a misunderstanding, nothing more ....

• 10. Re: creating bi answers query from multiple Subject Areas
                            rmoff

Thank rmoff for your understanding. A person like Christian Berg  should be stopped from commenting on this forum,

Just to be clear - you're 100% in the wrong here, and owe Christian Berg an apology for your complete lack of manners.