5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:29 AM by 975148

Best way to generate ER diagram

We have Oracle 11g in our environment. I wanted to know which should be the best way to generate an ER diagram. Below are these steps in SQL developer (version of SQL developer is 3.2.x):

a) View → Data Modeler → Browser

b) In browser tab, select show on newly created relational model

c) Then just drag the tables you want (from e.g. the «Connections» tab) onto the model.

The problem is I am not able to drag the tables.

I hope I have been able to explain my requirement of generating ER diagram.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

• 1. Re: Best way to generate ER diagram
          John Stegeman

Probably best asked on the SQL Developer forum.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best way to generate ER diagram
            David Last-Oracle

Dragging tables from the Connections tab is not supported in SQL Developer version 3.  You need to upgrade to version 4 to get this facility.

However in version 3 you can use File > Data Modeler > Import > Data Dictionary to import your Tables into a relational model.

You can then do an Engineer to Logical Menu (from the context menu for the Relational Model in the Browser, or using the << button above the diagram) to create the corresponding ER diagram.

David

• 3. Re: Best way to generate ER diagram

Thanks for your answer. On clicking the << button there is a window called "Engineer to Logical Model", there are 4 buttons on bottom as Engineer, Apply Selection....Is the 'Engineer button' to be clicked. Based on this, there are 2 more queries:

1) How to save the ER diagram

2) If all the tables are required in ER diagram, then should all the tables be selected in point c) of my post.

Please revert.

Regards

• 4. Re: Best way to generate ER diagram
                David Last-Oracle

2) If all the tables are required in ER diagram, then should all the tables be selected in point c) of my post.

If all the Tables in your relational diagram are to included in the ER diagram, just click the Engineer button.

If some are to be excluded, you can expand the Tables node in the tree in the top part of the dialogue and deselect the ones you don't want.  Then click the Engineer button.

1) How to save the ER diagram

To save your model for future update, you can go to the File menu and select Data Modeler > Save.

To save your diagram as a PDF or image file, go to the File menu and select Data Modeler > Print Diagram.

David

• 5. Re: Best way to generate ER diagram

I had these observations:

1) If all the tables are required in ER diagram, all tables need to be selected first in the relational model so that they are further available for ER diagram.

2) Data Modeler > Save saves a .dmd file which on subsequently opening in SQL developer seems to be in .xml mode and not graphical. The option Data Modeler > Print Diagram     is helpful to save in .PDF format.

Regards