11 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 12:04 AM by MariaKarpa(MK)

Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Hi all,

EBS R12.2

RHEL 6.5

Approximate or estimate only:

Can you tell me please what is the minimum cpu/core//socket required to run  TEST or VISION EBS R12.2 instance?

Thanks a lot,

mk

• 1. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2
          Bashar.

Hi,

If 10 or less people are going to use it then 2 cores should be enough. It might run on one core but it would be slow for more than 5 users.

I am assuming that you have good specs hardware. (2.0+ GHz Xeon processor, for example)

Regards,

Bashar

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Thanks my friend

• 3. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Hi Bashar,

Does it  mean to say that, as an estimate rule of thumb, for every 10 users there will be allotment of 2 cores?

So if we have 100 users, then we need 20 cores?

Thanks a  lot....

• 4. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2
                Bashar.

Hi,

No that's not a rule.

On 20 cores, you can run hundreds of users.

This depends on how much load they are putting on the system and what kind of work they do.

Forms are different from web (self service) applications.

There are complex and less complex forms or pages.

The actions performed by the users is an important factor.

Data entry is much different from running killer queries and reports that produce huge output.

One more thing, a badly designed customization (such as a report) can put huge load on a server having 20 cores!

Regards,

Bashar

• 5. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Thanks my friend, im impressed the way you explain so clearly

Assuming that there is no badly designed custom report programs or all the programs used are the built-in ones which are "tuned".

And assuming also that all the works the users do, are the right mixture of standard processes that is common to all business around the globe.

What I mean is the system is near perfect in all its combination of workers in EBS, the average common processes being done around the world.

This mean taking all exceptions and the killer processes which do not belong to the norms.

Just and estimate or guess, how many core do you think can support 100 users, in a near perfect average system environment?

Thanks a lot,

mk

• 6. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2
                    Bashar.

And I'm impressed by how clear your assumptions and questions are!

If you have fast processors then I think that 8 cores will be enough.

Maybe you can run on 6 cores but I think that you will experience performance degradation in peak hours especially at month end.

You should pay more attention to the size of RAM. It has a large effect on the performance.

I once installed an 11i system on a PC with 512 MB of RAM and a Pentium 3 processor!

It was crazy slow during the installation and patching but it was good when the system was up.

Regards,

Bashar

• 7. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Thanks Bashar

Assuming that we will buy latest model of server for new PROD setup. So this means latest will always have faster processors than old ones.

Assuming that 8 core is allocated for 100 users, how much RAM will be needed? (estimate only).

Thanks a lot...

• 8. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2
                        Bashar.

All my estimates are assuming that you are going to run a single tier system.

The choice of processors is not related to how modern a server is.

Of course the processors get faster with time but this does not mean that I cannot buy slower ones that are launched recently.

In an architecture which I cannot tell who designed it, a 4 node system with a total of 16 cores (Intel E5-2690v2) and 196 Gb of RAM will support roughly 200 users.

The RAM is way over estimated. I'm sure that the system will run smoothly with 48 GB of RAM.

In your case, 32 GB of RAM is enough.

However, since the price of servers memory is relatively cheap I advise you to get more RAM such as 48 GB.

Regards,

Bashar

• 9. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Thanks Bashar

Assuming that the processor is fast or average fast, can the table below  be used as a guide estimate?

UsersCoreRam

+100        +8            +32

• 10. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2
                            Bashar.

Hi,

It could be applicable in a normal situation as we discussed before.

I don't think that the estimates can be doubled for each 100 users.

According to R12.2 installation guide, you'll need the following resources for 100-200 users:

OAF - App. tier: 8 GB of RAM and 2 CPU's (or cores)

OAF - DB tier: 8 GB of RAM and 2 CPU's (or cores)

Forms- App. tier: 4 GB of RAM (for 100 users)

Forms -DB tier: 3 GB of RAM (for 100 users)

Based on the above, you'll need approx. 24 GB of RAM and probably 8 cores to serve 100 users (assuming that the forms tier requires 4 cores).

The general rule for the sizing would be to multiply the RAM by 1.5 and double the CPU power each time you double the number of users (worst case scenario).

100 users: 24 GB & 8 cores

200 users: 36 GB & 16 cores

400 users: 52 GB & 24 cores

You need to add to the above another 2 GB for the database tier and 3 GB for application tier per the installation guide.

Regards,

Bashar

• 11. Re: Minimum core cpu socket for EBS R12.2

Thanks a lot my friend