6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 4:45 PM by sanjeevmk

Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change

sanjeevmk

Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change -- We are only changing APPS and APPLSYS passwords.

How to Change Applications Passwords using Applications Schema Password Change Utility (FNDCPASS or AFPASSWD) [ID 437260.1] -- does not mention anything about autoconfig.

Please clarify.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

It is required and it's mentioned in the same doc -- NOTE: Run autoconfig after you are done with changing the passwords.

Thanks,

Hussein

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change
            sanjeevmk

We are only planning to change APPS and APPLSYS user passwords with FNDCPASS command.

In the same noteid: when I searched for "autoconfig" i only see this:

Autoconfig needs to be run after changing 'APPLSYSPUB' or 'GUEST' user password.

It is not really clear if this is ONLY required for non (APPS & APPLSYS) schema password changes or for everything. -- I hope they mention this properly in the document.

• 3. Re: Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

It's mentioned in the document twice

1. For APPLSYSPUB/GUEST as you mentioned

2. Under "Verify the new password" which cover the apps/applsys passwords

If you search the doc for "AutoConfig" you will find it there.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 4. Re: Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change
                sanjeevmk

Found more reference in another note id here

++++++++

autoconfig populates the table, profile option values and other configurations (for example, database links) with the new apps password.

so its recommended to have autoconfig run after change apps/applsys password using FNDCPASS.

Note 403537.1 : Secure Configuration Guide for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12

<Moderator Edit - deleted contents of MOS Doc - pl do not post such content - it is a violation of your Support agreement>

++++++++

Based on the above reference it changes the password during the "DB portion" of autoconfig (which makes sense).

I wonder if it also updated password when running INST8 (file system part) in any of the fles.

In our env(12.1.2)  we are only changing APPS & APPLSYS password using FNDCPASS command. Previously in version 11.5.10 we never had to run autoconfig.

Curious to know the "why" part not the "where" it is mentioned in the document.

Searched for APPS password under $INST_TOP in configuration files but it did not give any result.

My understanding is it is probably encrypted in some file. For SSWA initial connection happens via APPLSYS pub(gateway account). I wonder if the e-bus uses APPS password from Filesystem config file or from java call to database.

• 5. Re: Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change
                  sanjeevmk

We had our doubts on this -- opened SR(service request) with oracle support -- Now they are saying if we are ONLY changing APPS/APPLSYS password with FNDCPASS command -- Autoconfig is not required to be run. I have asked them to correct note id: How to Change Applications Passwords using Applications Schema Password Change Utility (FNDCPASS or AFPASSWD) [ID 437260.1] -- will update this posting when that happens.

• 6. Re: Is autoconfig required to be run for apps password change
                    sanjeevmk

It is official as of today:

Doc ID 437260.1-- How to Change Applications Passwords using Applications Schema Password Change Utility (FNDCPASS or AFPASSWD)

is updated -- Autoconfig is only needed to be run if we change APPLSYSPUB (or) GUEST password