4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 7:54 AM by Manoj Dixit

Windows Task Manager shows increasing memory usage upon visiting dashboards.

Manoj Dixit

Hello everybody,

I am trying to understand the memory used by IE (version 9) using Task Manager for OBIEE (11.1.1.7.0) sessions.

I have a few dashboards. One of them is very simple. It has a single page that has no prompt, just one Analysis that displays a row with three columns from a database table (and the table has a single row so no filters applied) using a standard Table view. Other dashboards have got pages, prompts, standard graph and table views along with filters within respective analyses.

When the OBIEE pages are visited I notice that the memory shown by Windows Task Manager goes on increasing even if I visit a simplest dashboard like the above. The task manager shows reduced memory HOWEVER that is not significant. The table below give you a trend.

PageComplexity# of Analyses# of promptsMemory (Cumulative)Comments
      1Simple1None56 K
      2Medium11278 K
      3Complex122154 K
      1Simple1None112 K
      4Complex72216 K
      1Simple1None119 K
      5Medium115123 K
      5Medium115132 KJust went through the page prompts without re-running the page.
      1Simple1None126 KPage 1, when visted first time used 56 K, then 112 K, then 119 K.
      2Medium112127 K
      2Medium112135 KJust went through the page prompts without re-running the page.
      Logout136 K
      Logged Out136 KWaited for 5 minutes
      Logged In135 KClicked 'here' of the "To sign in again, click here" message on the sign out page.
      Home Page140 K

1Simple1None145 KWhy initially for the same page the Task Manager showed only 56 K and now more value.
      4Complex72256 KFor the same page, same prompt values why more memory usage when initially 216 K was shown.
      3Complex122213 KInitially, the task manager showed 154 K for this page (same prompt values).
      1Simple1None180 KThe last time, the task manager showed 140 K for this simple page.
      Logout175 K
      Logged Out174 KWaited for about four minutes.
      Logged InClicked 'here' of the "To sign in again, click here" message on the sign out page.
      Home Page178 K
      4Complex72289 KLast time, the task manager showed 256 K.
      5Medium115203 KLast time, the task manager showed 123 K.
      1Simple1None201 KFirst time, 56 K and the last time, 180 K.
      Logout195 K

I am trying to understand whether there is any parameter, any fine tuning process that can be considered to keep the values within acceptance. Please think from users perspective who are busy during the day, may not logout, attend some meetings, come back to the desk only to find later during the day the memory usage is getting higher and higher and subsequently, unable to run the reports quicker.

Thank you.

Regards,

Manoj.