6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2015 8:14 AM by Raja_gopal

Insert query using writeback

Ibag

Dear All,

I have problem with writeback (doing insert), in which I configured all the steps as per the Oracle documentation.Necessary changes made to RPD

1) Uncheck Cache option from Physical Layer

2)Checked Writable option in BMM to columns( do we need to make all columns writable in a table?)

3) Set Execute database request to "allow' to particular users(BI Admin,AUTHOR,CONSUMER, and SYSTEM)

4) Read/write to insert columns in presentation layer

5) LightBack entry in instanceconfig

6)I have xml template as below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<WebMessageTables xmlns:sawm="com.siebel.analytics.web/message/v1">

<WebMessageTable lang="en-us" system="WriteBack" table="Messages">

<WebMessage name="WriteBack">

<XML>

<writeBack connectionPool="Connection">

<insert>INSERT INTO PGCPS.PG_COURSE_RECOMMENDATION_DIM (RECOMMENDATION_DESC) VALUES ('@{c84ba9b65afc9a876}')</insert>

<update>UPDATE PGCPS.PG_COURSE_RECOMMENDATION_DIM SET RECOMMENDATION_DESC='@{c84ba9b65afc9a876}'</update>

<postUpdate>COMMIT</postUpdate>

</writeBack>

</XML>

</WebMessage>

</WebMessageTable>

</WebMessageTables>

Finally I am ended up with below error.

"An error occured while writing to the server.Please check to make sure you have entered appropriate values. If the problem persists, contact your administrator."

Validated Datatypes too.

Any suggestions on this please

Regards,

IBAG

• 1. Re: Insert query using writeback
          Christian Berg

Ibag wrote:

Dear All,

I have problem with writeback (doing insert), in which I configured all the steps as per the Oracle documentation.Necessary changes made to RPD

1) Uncheck Cache option from Physical Layer

2)Checked Writable option in BMM to columns( do we need to make all columns writable in a table?)

3) Set Execute database request to "allow' to particular users(BI Admin,AUTHOR,CONSUMER, and SYSTEM)

4) Read/write to insert columns in presentation layer

5) LightBack entry in instanceconfig

6)I have xml template as below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<WebMessageTables xmlns:sawm="com.siebel.analytics.web/message/v1">

<WebMessageTable lang="en-us" system="WriteBack" table="Messages">

<WebMessage name="WriteBack">

<XML>

<writeBack connectionPool="Connection">

<insert>INSERT INTO PGCPS.PG_COURSE_RECOMMENDATION_DIM (RECOMMENDATION_DESC) VALUES ('@{c84ba9b65afc9a876}')</insert>

<update>UPDATE PGCPS.PG_COURSE_RECOMMENDATION_DIM SET RECOMMENDATION_DESC='@{c84ba9b65afc9a876}'</update>

<postUpdate>COMMIT</postUpdate>

</writeBack>

</XML>

</WebMessage>

</WebMessageTable>

</WebMessageTables>

Finally I am ended up with below error.

"An error occured while writing to the server.Please check to make sure you have entered appropriate values. If the problem persists, contact your administrator."

Validated Datatypes too.

Any suggestions on this please

Regards,

IBAG

"Validated Datatypes too". Let me just stop you there and ask a question: why do you want to make OBIEE a data entry system? What's next - dropdown picklists for data entry? Phone number formatting?

Oracle describes usage and limitations of LightWriteBack very precisely here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14571_01/bi.1111/e10541/answersconfigset.htm#BIESG1357

It's simply not meant for this. There's Oracle APEX which does a much better job of creating web applications and data entry masks ... because this is what that product has been designed and built to do. Plus it's free as in free beer. The right tool for the right job.

Also your insert is a bit weird. You want to enter new descriptions without any relation to anything or a key or the likes? So no redundancy checking, uniqueness?

What does the NQQuery.log say exactly?

• 2. Re: Insert query using writeback
            Ibag

Hi Christian Berg,

That is what client give me as requirement. He want to choose the values from drop down list from prompt and insert them into table, which I am unable to perform. Instaed of that I am writing those values into text and users will copy and paste and do an insert to db table.

we don't have any constraints in table and I want particular Recommendation desc column to gets inserted. when I try this in db it is working fine.

Could you pl advice further?

Regards,

VenkatIBAG

• 3. Re: Insert query using writeback
              Christian Berg

Yes. My further adcive: do NOT user OBIEE for that! That's like using a hammer to cut your vegetables. Or like using a chainsaw to brush your teeth.

OBIEE is an analytics tool. Not a data entry web application.

• 4. Re: Insert query using writeback
                Ibag

Yes, even I don't want to take the pain. But, at this point of time client is not ready to go with any other option. So If you could advice me on the error which I am facing, that would be of a great help.

• 5. Re: Insert query using writeback
                  Christian Berg

As said above: your insert is just a description field? You're creating new rows in that table with just one single column? No uniqueness, no key, no nothing? What does the NQQuery.log say?

• 6. Re: Insert query using writeback
                    Raja_gopal

Hi,

1.In insert query  give position of the column @{1} or @{2} etc instead of @{c84ba9b65afc9a876}

2. if you have update statment you should have some validation to update, like if you are trying to insert more record for existing unique attribute.

syntax:

update table_name set column_name=Value where 'condition'

Regards

Rajagopal