SQLD 4.1.0.19.07

Java 1.8.0_45

OS   Win XP sp3

Try this:

1.- Connect to a database, a worksheet opens

2.- Make any query like select * from dual

3.- Disconnect from database

4.- Close associated worksheet

After a few seconds SQLDev connects itself to database and opens a worksheet

Can anybody reproduce this behavior?

Thanks

Oscar

• 3. Re: SQLDev 4.1.0.19.07 connects itself to database and opens a worksheet
          Raj Jamadagni

Does this happen (automatic reconnect) when password is stored in connection info or no?

• 4. Re: SQLDev 4.1.0.19.07 connects itself to database and opens a worksheet
            Gary Graham-Oracle

Looking at the other discussion noted in SRG's post above, you will see this behavior only occurs when using unshared worksheets exclusively -*.  Not exactly a best practice, but some user want it that way.

Does this happen (automatic reconnect) when password is stored in connection info or no?

Yes.  Even though the password may be stored in the connection info, the connect dialog prompt for the unshared worksheet's reconnect attempt still asks for the password.  Perhaps a bug also, but that's moot since stopping the reconnect attempt fixes it.

Edit: * - At least I have not been able to reproduce it any other way.

Correction:

As noted by SRG, this does reproduce for shared worksheets. Any stored passwords are used automatically and  the connection prompt is bypassed.

• 5. Re: SQLDev 4.1.0.19.07 connects itself to database and opens a worksheet
              srg

Gary, thanks for the additional comments. The original poster didn't mention explicitly if he was running in shared or unshared worksheets, but I can reproduce the behavior he sees using a shared worksheet connection and following his steps exactly. The behavior I encounter is using an unshared worksheet. But regarding the use of unshared worksheets -  I don't understand your reservation? From my perspective, a shared connection between the connection browser and the worksheet creates the possibility of a "resource busy" situation if I am executing a long running query in the worksheet, therefore I avoid the whole issue by opening the worksheet as unshared. So, what would your recommended approach be?

Cancelling through each reconnect dialog definitely seems to work, though surely this is not a desirable long-term solution?

Regards,

Steve

• 6. Re: SQLDev 4.1.0.19.07 connects itself to database and opens a worksheet
                Gary Graham-Oracle

Steve,

I can reproduce the behavior he sees using a shared worksheet connection and following his steps exactly

OPR did provide some steps, but there really is not enough detail for a precise test case.  So, playing around a bit more, I can reproduce it for the case of shared worksheets by using Run Statement (Ctrl+Enter) but not Run Script (F5). Thanks for setting me straight!

But regarding the use of unshared worksheets -  I don't understand your reservation?

As you say, unshared worksheets are great for avoiding "resource busy" situations. On the other hand, if you make that the default mode for all worksheets, you are increasing the number of DB connections and database overhead.  Also, using multiple worksheets and object browsers on a shared connection ensure a consistent view of the data -- using unshared worksheets, the user always has be to aware that if the various views do not match as expected, then it is likely due to the use of multiple connections and not coordinating commits and refreshes across connections.

So, sometimes unshared worksheets are appropriate, but improvements in more recent JDBC driver versions have increased the chance of cancelling a task, e.g.,

View > Task Progress > Cancel

actually working.  Of course, it's completely up to you (and perhaps your DBAs) how to use the product in a specific work environment.

Cheers,

Gary