3 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 10:47 AM by 1978312

How do you set the default linesize?

Hi

I downloaded SQL Developer 4.1 and when I run a SQL select statement the putput wraps round at 80 characters by default. In Version 4.0 each row was shown on a separate line. How can I replicate this 4.0 behaviour in 4.1? I do a 'set linesize 5000' at the start of my script but I want this to be the default every time I run a query from the SQL Worksheet.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How do you set the default linesize?

OK

I read through the other posts and it seem that I need to create a login.sql file, so I created this with the following

set linesize -1;

set pagesize -1;

HOWEVER, when I run a select statement some of the headings are being truncated for some reason and also the headings are repeated every 5 rows.

Even if I set the line size to something like 5000 it is still truncating some of the column heading names. Fpor example DST_TIMETIME is being truncated to 'D'????

I dont understand why the developers changed this from the behaviour of 4.0 when it worked perfectly well before - what possible advantages could truncating headings have?????

Please can someone tell me how to get the output to behave like 4.0. For now I'm reverting back to 4.0 since this behaviour is way too frustrating

• 2. Re: How do you set the default linesize?
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

>>HOWEVER, when I run a select statement some of the headings are being truncated for some reason and also the headings are repeated every 5 rows.

weird

what's the exact contents of your login.sql script?

what do you see exactly you run say a SELECT * FROM HR.EMPLOYES where rownum < 5 -- or fetch first 5 rows only

The behavior has changed because we're getting much closer to 100% SQL*Plus compatibility for running scripts.

• 3. Re: How do you set the default linesize?

Hi Jeff

Thanks for getting back to me. The contents of my login.sql is as follows:

set heading ON;

set linesize 5000;

set pagesize 5000;

It looks like it has corrected itself somehow now - so output is appearing as in 4.0???