7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 12:51 PM by Kris Rice-Oracle

What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?

Tim St. H.

In previous versions of ORDS / Apex listener,  there was no concept of the parmas/ords_params.properties

In my previous version setups, we would prep the ords.war (or any re-name) file by setting the config dir on the host using

java -jar ords.war configdir /path/to/ords_config_files

Then running the "java -jar ords.war setup" to generate the XML configuration files stored in the initially defined configuration directory.

Can you elaborate on the "java -jar ords.war install" process and how it seems to add the additional features of ORDS, but also seems to generate the params directory.

Is this only used for Stand Alone mode? - as it is re-created if I try to re-run "java -jar ords.war install" - but starts the stand alone mode.

I am only guessing based on my observations and the few mentions in the documentation, so any correction or context would be educational.

Regards,

Tim St.

• 1. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
          Kiran Pawar

Hi Tim St. H.,

Tim St. H. wrote:

In previous versions of ORDS / Apex listener,  there was no concept of the parmas/ords_params.properties

In my previous version setups, we would prep the ords.war (or any re-name) file by setting the config dir on the host using

1. java -jar ords.war configdir /path/to/ords_config_files 

Then running the "java -jar ords.war setup" to generate the XML configuration files stored in the initially defined configuration directory.

The concept of "params/ords_params.properties" parameter file is introduced in ORDS 3.0 for making somewhat complex installation easy. The concept of parameter file is to already define ORDS configuration parameters in the file and while installing ORDS 3.0 with the following (any one) commands :

java -jar ords.war
          java -jar ords.war install simple

will read the configuration file and do the ORDS configuration as specified.

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#CHDECAFJ

The ORDS 3.0 installation as well asks for configuration directory and store the configuration in the XML files.

Can you elaborate on the "java -jar ords.war install" process and how it seems to add the additional features of ORDS, but also seems to generate the params directory.

java -jar ords.war
          java -jar ords.war install simple

These commands read the parameter file stored at "params/ords_params.properties" and configure ORDS 3.0 accordingly. They do not generate parameter file.

java -jar ords.war install advanced

This command does the installation/configuration of ORDS 3.0 by prompting the use to enter the parameter values required for configuration and then stores the configuration choices entered by the user in "params/ords_params.properties" file.

Refer : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E56351_01/doc.30/e56293/install.htm#CHDGAAHJ

Regarding elaborating on installation process it is well done in the documentation. But to re-iterate it these are the tasks done by ORDS 3.0 installation process:

• Prompting for configuration directory and storing the configuration files in XML format at the specified location.
          • Prompting for database configuration parameters like db server name, db listener port and db SID/service name and storing them in designated configuration file.
          • Prompting for configuration of database users used by ORDS and storing the configuration in designated configuration file.

NOTE : In ORDS 3.0 there are 5 users to be configured viz. APEX_PUBLIC_USER, APEX_LISTENER, APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER, ORDS_PUBLIC_USER and ORDS_METADATA. The APEX_PUBLIC_USER is created while creating and configuring Oracle Database, the APEX_LISTENER and APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER are created while Configuring RESTful Services in Oracle APEX and lastly ORDS_PUBLIC_USER and ORDS_METADATA users are created while configuring ORDS 3.0.

• Prompting whether to start ORDS in standalone mode and store the standalone mode parameters like static resources location and HTTP port and storing them in configuration file.
          Is this only used for Stand Alone mode? - as it is re-created if I try to re-run "java -jar ords.war install" - but starts the stand alone mode.

No, configuring of stand alone mode in ORDS 3.0 is optional. If you have created configuration file with standalone mode options the command will start ORDS 3.0 in standalone mode.

Regards,

Kiran

• 2. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
            Tim St. H.

Kiran,

I appreciate your long writeup that quotes the documentation.  You took a lot of time to gather that information.

Tell me - on a ORDS.war that is already deployed - when you re-run the "java -jar ords.war install" option, what behavior do you get?

What behavior would you expect?  Is that documented?

When I run the install in that method, rather than taking me through the steps and asking for connection information, a new params/ords_params.properties file is generated automatically and the ORDS starts in stand alone mode.  In fact - as long as the configuration directory exists, it defaults to runtime mode.  Why? 

If the deployment of the ORDS.war is in a webapps directory (such as the Tomcat deployment), would you expect the param directory and file there?

If you had more than one deployment of ORDS, would you expect them to share the param directory?

Try these scenarios and let me know your findings and thoughts.

-- Tim St.

• 3. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
              partlycloudy

Kiran - Any update on this? I have the exact same questions as Tim in trying to understand the new behaviour introduced in Version 3.0.

Specifically, one of the recommendations in Kris's presentation is to change the JDBC connection pool parameters.

So suppose I configure the apex.war file in the ORDS installation folder and after ensuring connectivity to APEX in standalone mode, I move the apex.war file to the Tomcat webapps folder to deploy as a Tomcat context/webapp. Now I would like to change the JDBC and other ORDS configuration parameters. The Tip in the documentation recommends using the ORDS command line interface to edit the configuration files but it refers us to this page which is about installing ORDS.

So  I am not sure how we are supposed to go about modifying an existing ORDS setup. Manually editing the defaults.xml file seems to be deprecated.

Thanks

• 4. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
                Kris Rice-Oracle

In 3.0 the properties file was used if present for a silent install.

Now in 3.0.1, the property file is used as the defaults but the various prompts to install are still shown.

However, if you are doing another setup.  You do have to change the config dir first so it goes to a different place.

• 5. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
                  Tim St. H.

Kris,

I can confirm - but my testing showed that when you re-run the setup process, the properties file is dumped in the same directory as the .war - not the config directory.  Now - in truth - you should not run the "easy" setup twice and it the ORDS behaves badly when you do causing a lot of confusion.  Some of us make mistakes and need to fix them.

I look forward to the next release.

Thanks

-- Tim St.

• 6. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
                    Kiran Pawar

Hi Tim,

Tim St. H. wrote:

I can confirm - but my testing showed that when you re-run the setup process, the properties file is dumped in the same directory as the .war - not the config directory.  Now - in truth - you should not run the "easy" setup twice and it the ORDS behaves badly when you do causing a lot of confusion.  Some of us make mistakes and need to fix them.

I look forward to the next release.

The next release of ORDS 3.0.1 is released on June 29, 2015.

Download it from OTN : Oracle REST Data Services Download and give it a try.

Regards,

Kiran

• 7. Re: What is the purpose of the params/ords_params.properties?
                      Kris Rice-Oracle

Exactly,  All the properties is used for is silent install, saved responses so it has no direct tie on the actual config itself so not placed over there.  Feel free to nuke it after every run.