7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 1:58 PM by Christian Berg

display total records using narrative view

Halo guys

I just want to ask about why total records did not change at all when I used hierarchy as a dashboard prompt.

see this picture:

print screen 6.png

But when I used column as dashboard prompt it worked out.

anyone can help me out to solve this problem by giving me an idea?please.

• 1. Re: display total records using narrative view
          Christian Berg

Hierarchies reduce the amount of data shown through "selection steps" which are overwritten by prompts and not "filters" as a column prompt does. Selection steps kick in after the data has been handed over from the OBIS to the OBIPS - i.e. not part of the WHERE clause - and hence to not cut off the data stream but apply themselves ex-post. So basically you are getting back those 220 records which are counted by your narrative view and only then the selection step reduces the number of records used to render the table.

• 2. Re: display total records using narrative view

@Christian Berg: MAX(RCOUNT(1)) does not work when I apply selection pane in my answer (I use selection pane to my hierarchy so that it can be filtered from dashboard prompt). My goal is when I filter 'Office Hierarchy' from dashboard prompt the Total Records will show the real calculation of office. could you please give me an idea? I really appreciates it. a thanks million.

• 3. Re: display total records using narrative view
              Christian Berg

I understand your issue and request but as I said above it is a problem of "what happens when" in terms of execution precedence. For the time being I doubt that you'll get this to work the way you want. The point in time where the selection step kicks in to "reduce" the number of rows it is what it is: a visual reduction, not a physical cutting off of the data stream.

• 4. Re: display total records using narrative view

@Christian Berg: I've read from docs.oracle, i understand at last that the problem i faced was that "in terms of when the query is executed":

Filters

Filters can be applied directly to attribute columns and measure columns. Filters are applied before the query is aggregated and affect the query and thus the resulting values for measures. For example, suppose that you have a list of members in which the aggregate sums to 100. Over time, more members meet the filter criteria and are filtered in, which increases the aggregate sum to 200.

Selection Steps

Selection steps are applied after the query is aggregated and affect only the members displayed, not the resulting aggregate values. For example, suppose that you have a list of hierarchical members in which the aggregate sums to 100. If you remove one of the members using a selection step, then the aggregate sum remains at 100.

So, this meant that total records will not show accurately when it filters from prompt hierarchy. so, could we have a tricky way to meet the requirement?

• 6. Re: display total records using narrative view

@Christian Berg: I would say thank you for your response.really appreciate it.

• 7. Re: display total records using narrative view
                    Christian Berg

Cool. Can you close this thread plese? It's still marked as "Not Answered"  and by closing it you will assure that other users of the community can immediately see that the thread contains an answer to the question.