9 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2015 6:53 AM by BluShadow Branched from an earlier discussion.

Document versioning (Branched from known issues)

BluShadow

Another small buggett (though not one that will apply to most people as it applies to creating/editing document content)...

When you create a document it creates it as version 1.

If you then edit the document, and select the checkbox for "minor edit..." so it doesn't send updates via email/streams and re publish it (save the changes), then it still updates the version to the next number. e.g. in a document I recently created, I spotted a typo, so I edited it to correct that and then it became version 2, even though I'd checked the "minor change" checkbox.  Then, Steve Feuerstein suggested to me that I should make it open for comments in case people wanted to comment on it, so I edited again, just to change that setting (non of the document content) and also checked the minor change checkbox again... and sure enough it became version 3, even though there's no difference in the content.

I would expect that checking the 'minor change' checkbox should either, not update the version number, or should apply a minor version to it e.g. 1.1, 1.2... and so on, only applying major version number changes if that checkbox is not checked.  (It would also be good if, when editing, there was a version control box for typing a reason for the change, so that people had some quick reference, so if I'd entered "correction of some typos" then people wouldn't be having to try and compare to the previous version - I know that's more of an "Idea" but not much point in raising an Idea for something that not everyone can use)

• 1. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
          moniquevdb-Oracle

Yeah I would create an Idea for this. But I think the version control is supposed to capture every change, so that nobody can go in and make large quantities of changes and click the "correction of some typos" button and then the changes aren't captured. With administrative documents, I could see this being a real problem.

• 3. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
            BluShadow

Well, fine if it needs to update the version for changes then I accept that.  But seriously, just me going and changing the checkbox to say that comments should be allowed, should that really be counted as a new version?  It's just a setting against the document, nothing changed in the document content itself.

• 4. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
              Dude!

I'm not arguing whether a new version for doing minor changes makes really sense, or whether it was absolutely necessary, but I only assume that the current result is based on internal module or program logic. Changing the current behavior could require to change fundamental internal logic, which I would question from the perspective whether having a new version for minor changes really constitutes a problem. It's a number that may look silly, based on perception, or interpretation. I remember when creating the community guide, I ended up with high version numbers, often because I corrected a small spelling mistake. I also thought this may look really silly, but then again, who cares?

• 5. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
                BluShadow

Well, based on my occasional updates of the SQL and PL/SQL FAQ in the past, people do seem to care.  They want to know when something has updated and what's been changed (just like people want to know on this thread what the latest updates are).  If the version numbers increase, people would naturally assume changes to the content.  Most people are familiar with major and minor version numbers, so it would seem quite logical.  Sure it may change some fundamental internal logic for Jive, but then we already know that the fundamental internal logic of the Jive software is seriously flawed anyway, so it can only be an improvement.

• 6. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
                  jgarry

Improvements can be negative

I think I'm with jive on this, these metadata attribute changes may or may not be important, I think it is easy to come up with examples where they are not, but not so easy for the general case.  The minor version suggestion doesn't even really account for it, separate attributes might require their own count.

I had to come to terms with this in an application where simply printing the doc upped the version count.  That was a specific reasonable requirement, of course, but the salient lesson was one of having to accommodate requirements outliers.

If there is an issue of people making incorrect assumptions, the fix ought to be make it easy to know if the assumptions are incorrect.

• 7. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
                    Dude!

Well, based on my occasional updates of the SQL and PL/SQL FAQ in the past, people do seem to care.  They want to know when something has updated and what's been changed

Are people sending you requests asking what changed? How do you address such situations if there are indeed important updates? Perhaps as an immediate solution, you might want to put a line at the beginning of your document showing the most recent date and update history, such as "minor spelling corrections, not worth mentioning", for example.

• 8. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
                      BluShadow

Catch-22 wrote:

Well, based on my occasional updates of the SQL and PL/SQL FAQ in the past, people do seem to care.  They want to know when something has updated and what's been changed

Are people sending you requests asking what changed? How do you address such situations if there are indeed important updates? Perhaps as an immediate solution, you might want to put a line at the beginning of your document showing the most recent date and update history, such as "minor spelling corrections, not worth mentioning", for example.

Yes, in the past, people have commented to ask me what's changed because some people have taken copies of things for their own purposes and want to know if something is updated.  In the FAQ I did start adding comments to individual entries to say when and what had changed if it was appropriate, but if it was a typo or to fix links (like when the software changed) then I didn't.

• 9. Re: Known issues: the issues we know (Branched)
                        BluShadow

I've branched this off from the main Known issues: the issues we know thread at Monique's request.

Thanks for the feedback all, I'll raise an idea around it, and lock this thread so that any comments can be specific to, and on, that idea.