6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 10:05 PM by Madasamy-Oracle

Error while creating RCU

I was installing RCU for OBIEE and am unable to connect to DB.

Am getting the following error:

•Unable to connect to the database using the provided details. Please enter a valid hostname and port or check if the listener is up and running.

but when I checked the listener is up and I can connect to the DB. No problem with the DB. I couldn't understand where am I doing wrong. PLZ PLZ..........can someone help me on this????????????

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Error while creating RCU
          Ibag

Can you paste your configuartion details while installing? And could you check whether DB services are up and running?

• 2. Re: Error while creating RCU
            prassu

Share your error details clearly.

• 3. Re: Error while creating RCU
              Felipe_Idalgo

Hello,

Check the information that is using the RCU.

Confirm the IP of your instance, port and name of the service and of course, make sure the machine running the RCU sees the database server (you can use the ping to do that).

Remember that tnsname.ora entry is an alias and you need to use the service name in the RCU

Felipe Idalgo

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Error while creating RCU
                SyamPrasad N

can you please try as below.

host_name: localhost  --> instead of machine name or IP you can use "localhost

port: 1521                  --> As per your TNS entry

Service_name: ORCL --> As per your TNS entry SERVICE_NAME = ORCL

username: sys

Password: *******

Before running the RCU make sure all the ORCL related services are up and running. If you are installing in windows server check the ORCL services status in started and also connect DB with any other user not with sys.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Syam

• 5. Re: Error while creating RCU
                  rmoff

can you please try as below.

host_name: localhost  --> instead of machine name or IP you can use "localhost

This will only work if the database is running local to the OBIEE machine. Other than that, it'll always fail.

but when I checked the listener is up and I can connect to the DB. No problem with the DB.

How are you connecting to the DB to validate it? Because clearly there is a problem somewhere, OBIEE is not just going to be saying this to wind you up.

So check:

1. Can you connect to the DB from your OBIEE server (eg with sqlplus)

2. Are you using a hostname or IP? Does the hostname resolve correctly?

3. Is there a firewall between the two machines? Is it open on the necessary port? (often 1521 but not always)

• 6. Re: Error while creating RCU
                    Madasamy-Oracle

Hello Syam,

Along with whatever you are suggested to check above, make sure that the service name is correct.

ORCL =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST =  samplehost.oracle.com)(PORT = 1521))

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

(SERVICE_NAME = orcl.oracle.com)

)

)

here the service name to be used in RCU is ORCL.ORACLE.COM and not ORCL. Please cross check this one as well.