2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2015 5:20 PM by user5032744

Query Builder Link Icon (Top Right, Next to Tables)

user5032744

When you are in Query Builder, a small link icon appears to the top right of the tables/views that you have added to the query. Can anyone explain what these are for or what they do? I provide SQL Developer internal training for my company, and have had this come up a couple of times.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• 1. Re: Query Builder Link Icon (Top Right, Next to Tables)
          Gary Graham-Oracle

It aids you in joining to other tables or an alias of the same table (self-join) having foreign keys.  For example...

1. Open a worksheet on, say, the HR schema.

2. Click on the Query Builder tab

3. Drag & drop the Employees table there.

4. Using the link icon, you can specify either an Oracle join type, or default to the ANSI join type, then join on Employees (self-join employee to manager).

5. To make things more interesting, drag & drop Departments in too.

6. Then the link icon with the focus on Employees will also allow creation of inter-table joins on Department_Ids / Employee/Manager / Manager/Employee 

• 2. Re: Query Builder Link Icon (Top Right, Next to Tables)
            user5032744

Thanks for the detailed explanation... When I followed your steps using a connection to an ODS with little to no referential constraints, I only saw the join type context item. However, when I switched to an OLTP schema that includes extensive RI constraints, the functionality came to life! Makes sense now.

Thanks again for taking the time!

-Mike