3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2015 5:08 PM by Kris Rice-Oracle

ORDS 3.0 - Tomcat modify configuration

partlycloudy

ORDS 3.0 deployed as a Tomcat webapp. Followed the installation instructions. APEX is accesible via  ORDS. ORDS configdir is d:\apex. Tomcat \webapps\apex.war and \webapps\apex contain the configuration files.

Now if I want to change the configuration to add the following settings

#############################################
      apex.excel2collection=true
      apex.excel2collection.onecollection=true
      apex.excel2collection.name=excel
      jdbc.initialLimit=100
      jdbc.MinLimit=100
      jdbc.MaxLimit=100
      ##############################################

Question: Where exactly would I add these commands? In the params/ords_params.properties file under d:\apex\apex\ords? Or by manually editing the defaults.xml file? But which file to edit, the one in d:\apex or the one under Tomcat \webaps\apex\...?

I asked these questions on an existing thread already.

If  I understand correctly, we use the commands provided in the ords.war file to configure ORDS/APEX in the designated configdir and it creates files/folders/config files under the configdir. But when we want to deploy as a Tomcat webapp, the instructions ask us to simply copy over the ords.war file to the Tomcat webapps folder, NOT the configdir folder. This would imply that the java -jar ords.war configuration commands not only read the ords.war but also write back to it so it is a standalone file that can be copied as a Tomcat webapp. Is this assumption correct?

Having said that, I am still not sure how to answer my question above.

Can someone from the Oracle ORDS team please clarify how all this works?

Thanks

• 1. Re: ORDS 3.0 - Tomcat modify configuration
          Kiran Pawar

Hi VANJ,

VANJ wrote:

ORDS 3.0 deployed as a Tomcat webapp. Followed the installation instructions. APEX is accesible via  ORDS. ORDS configdir is d:\apex. Tomcat \webapps\apex.war and \webapps\apex contain the configuration files.

Now if I want to change the configuration to add the following settings

1. ############################################# 
          2. apex.excel2collection=true 
          3. apex.excel2collection.onecollection=true 
          4. apex.excel2collection.name=excel 
          5. jdbc.initialLimit=100 
          6. jdbc.MinLimit=100 
          7. jdbc.MaxLimit=100 
          8. ############################################## 

Question: Where exactly would I add these commands? In the params/ords_params.properties file under d:\apex\apex\ords? Or by manually editing the defaults.xml file? But which file to edit, the one in d:\apex or the one under Tomcat \webaps\apex\...?

Having said that, I am still not sure how to answer my question above.

You don't have to change anything in Tomcat\webapps\apex. Just locate the configdir using:

java -jar ords.war configdir

Navigate to your config directory and edit defaults.xml file and add/modify the following parameters:

<entry key="apex.excel2collection">true</entry>
          <entry key="apex.excel2collection.name">excel</entry>
          <entry key="apex.excel2collection.onecollection">true</entry>
          <entry key="jdbc.InitialLimit">100</entry>
          <entry key="jdbc.MinLimit">100</entry>
          <entry key="jdbc.MaxLimit">100</entry>

Save the changes to defaults.xml file and re-start your Tomcat Services.

There is another way to modify ORDS configuration using Oracle SQL Developer.

Refer : https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E55747_01/appdev.41/e55591/ords_sqldev.htm#CEGEEHGB

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Kiran

• 2. Re: Re: ORDS 3.0 - Tomcat modify configuration
            partlycloudy

Navigate to your config directory and edit defaults.xml file and add/modify the following parameters:

Oracle recommends users to use the Oracle REST Data Services command-line interface and Oracle SQL Developer Oracle REST Data Services Administration to edit the configuration files. For more information, see Section 1.3, "Installing and Configuring Oracle REST Data Services" and "Oracle REST Data Services Administration" in Oracle SQL Developer User's Guide.

Kiran - Huh, as I mentioned in the thread the documentation seems to imply that manually editing defaults.xml is deprecated. Personally, unless you are using the SQL*Developer GUI to configure ORDS, editing text files (be it ords_params.properties or defaults.xml) is really the same thing. I just wanted to make sure I am following Oracle's recommendation/best practice around this.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 3. Re: ORDS 3.0 - Tomcat modify configuration
              Kris Rice-Oracle

Manually editing the defaults.xml is just fine.  It's just xml, if it gets goofed it's all broke and you'll find out really fast.  The GUI is just to make it nicer than using emacs/vi

1 person found this helpful