3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 9:50 PM by Earl Lewis

Debug settings not working

Earl Lewis

I'm having trouble configuring ORDS 3.0 with Glassfish 4.1 and Apex 4.2.4. When I try to run the default Apex page (http://localhost:8080/ords/) I'm simply getting a 404 page, with no other helpful information. The little localhost:8080/i/apex_version.txt trick works as expected (which I assume means that the i.war is deployed properly). And I'm getting success messages in the server.log file when I deploy the i.war and ords.war. Starting the Glassfish server gives no errors, nor do I see any username/password errors in the server.log, which are typical of mis-configured usernames/password for the Apex and REST service accounts.

I've done (and re-done, and re-done, and re-done) the various configuration changes that have been suggested here on the forum (ords.war setup, ords.war user, ensured that the PL/SQL gateway is added, etc) as well as ensuring that I can connect to the database with the various user accounts. I've read, re-read, and re-read the documentation. I'm trying to simply get the debugging to go to the browser when I try to run the default Apex page and I'm not having any luck.

Here's my default.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
      <!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "http://java.sun.com/dtd/properties.dtd">
      <properties>
      <comment>Saved on Tue Jul 07 14:18:18 MDT 2015</comment>
      <entry key="cache.caching">false</entry>
      <entry key="cache.directory">/tmp/apex/cache</entry>
      <entry key="cache.duration">days</entry>
      <entry key="cache.expiration">7</entry>
      <entry key="cache.maxEntries">500</entry>
      <entry key="cache.monitorInterval">60</entry>
      <entry key="cache.procedureNameList"/>
      <entry key="cache.type">lru</entry>
      <entry key="db.hostname">foo.server.name</entry>
      <entry key="db.port">1521</entry>
      <entry key="db.servicename">oracle</entry>
      <entry key="debug.debugger">true</entry>
      <entry key="debug.printDebugToScreen">true</entry>
      <entry key="error.keepErrorMessages">true</entry>
      <entry key="error.maxEntries">50</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.DriverType">thin</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.InactivityTimeout">1800</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.InitialLimit">3</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.MaxConnectionReuseCount">1000</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.MaxLimit">10</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.MaxStatementsLimit">10</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.MinLimit">1</entry>
      <entry key="jdbc.statementTimeout">900</entry>
      <entry key="log.logging">false</entry>
      <entry key="log.maxEntries">50</entry>
      <entry key="misc.compress"/>
      <entry key="misc.defaultPage">apex</entry>
      <entry key="security.disableDefaultExclusionList">false</entry>
      <entry key="security.maxEntries">2000</entry>
      </properties>

After I make any configuration changes I'm stopping/starting the Glassfish domain.  However, when I try to load the default page (localhost:8080/ords/) I get no joy. A 404 page with no debug info. Obviously I'm doing something wrong here but I cannot for the life of me sort out what it is. Is there some kind of a trick to getting debug info running after you change the default.xml (yes, I've stopped and restarted the Glassfish domain)?

One other bit of info that might be helpful is that I'm able to run ORDS in standalone mode just fine. It does not run via the Glassfish configuration.

Oracle REST Data Services version : 3.0.1.177.18.02

Oracle REST Data Services server info: GlassFish Server Open Source Edition  4.1

• 1. Re: Debug settings not working
          Kris Rice-Oracle

There's nothing in the glassfish log files?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Debug settings not working
            Kiran Pawar

Hi Earl Lewis,

Earl Lewis wrote:

I'm having trouble configuring ORDS 3.0 with Glassfish 4.1 and Apex 4.2.4. When I try to run the default Apex page (http://localhost:8080/ords/) I'm simply getting a 404 page, with no other helpful information.

However, when I try to load the default page (localhost:8080/ords/) I get no joy. A 404 page with no debug info.

Oracle REST Data Services version : 3.0.1.177.18.02

Oracle REST Data Services server info: GlassFish Server Open Source Edition  4.1

Try accessing the default apex page with : http://localhost:8080/ords (without a last "/").

See note regarding 404 Errors when configuring Oracle REST Data Services in the readme.html inside the ords.3.0.1.177.18.02.zip.

Regards,

Kiran

• 3. Re: Debug settings not working
              Earl Lewis

Kris, there was nothing going to the server.log after my configuration change. And the good news is that I now know why. The root cause is that I used a relative path for the configdir setting, when I ran the ords.war install/setup. I only learned of my problem because I had another instance to compare to.

Those of you that know, can probably imagine, using a relative path for the configdir setting is a really bad thing. Very hard to troubleshoot, and maddening to not see changes you're making show up in the Glassfish deployment. In any case, I got my debug info and I'm no longer getting a non-descript 404 error on the default page, I'm see an Apex builder login page!!

So the short answer to this particular failure mode is this, always use an absolute path reference for the configdir setting!

Now on to configuring multiple instances on one Glassfish server...