8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2015 12:57 PM by 2616065

network alias does not populate

windows 7 sp2 64bit

sqldev version

java 1.8.0_25

IDE 4.1.0.19.07

The oracle 12c client is installed.

I recently upgraded sqldeveloper and now the network alias does not populate when creating a new connection.  It worked in 3.2.x.  The path is set in the Database->Advanced->Tnsnames Directory (c:\app).  There are no files in that path that are like tnsnames.ora.  The Use Oracle Client and OCI/Thick driver are unchecked.

SQLPLUS and TOAD are working fine.

sqlcl also does not find the tnsnames file either.  

Also, the connections that were set in the previous version imported and work fine.  It's just when I want to create a new connection, I have to use the basic style.

i'm out of ideas.

Thank You

Sam

• 1. Re: network alias does not populate

The path is set in the Database->Advanced->Tnsnames Directory (c:\app).  There are no files in that path that are like tnsnames.ora.  The Use Oracle Client and OCI/Thick driver are unchecked.

SQLPLUS and TOAD are working fine.

sqlcl also does not find the tnsnames file either. 

Also, the connections that were set in the previous version imported and work fine.  It's just when I want to create a new connection, I have to use the basic style.

i'm out of ideas.

Ok - I'm confused.

You point the preference setting to a folder that does NOT have a tnsnames.ora and then ask why you can't find the tnsnames.ora file?

What am I missing?

The 'basic' connection type is a type 4 driver - that is, pure Java. It does NOT use tnsnames.ora and therefore does NOT know about any aliases.

If you want to use the OCI/thick driver you need to point the preference setting to a folder that DOES have a tnsnames.ora file.

• 2. Re: network alias does not populate

I meant only the tnsnames.ora is in that path, not other files like tnsnames.

• 3. Re: network alias does not populate
              Gary Graham-Oracle

Are you sure that is all that changed?  Maybe you were actually relying on the TNS_ADMIN environment variable previously and that got unset? 

Do you really have the tnsnames.ora file in C:\app?  Normally it would something like...

C:\app\<oracleHomeOwner>\product\<oracleVersion>\<oracleHome>\network\admin

• 4. Re: network alias does not populate

Yes, I really have tns_admin set at c:\app and yes the tnsnames.ora file is in that directory.

am I sure that is all that changed,  YES.  Like I stated, my other tools continue to work fine and they rely on tns_admin, as does sqlplus. 

• 5. Re: network alias does not populate

figured this out, i had an extraneous character in the tnsnames.ora.

• 6. Re: network alias does not populate
                    Gary Graham-Oracle

Do you mean an extraneous character within the tnsnames.ora file itself?   That would make sense -- SQL Developer is known to be finicky about reading it.

Otherwise, in my environment, even launching from a

1. Windows CMD console with TNS_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME unset and

2. SQL Developer Database > Advanced preferences not pointing to any Tnsnames directory

the Network Alias list in the New Connection dialog is still populated. Apparently the code that searches for tnsnames.ora from before the existence of that preference still works fine.

• 7. Re: network alias does not populate

Then please mark the thread ANSWERED.

And clarify: are you saying that sql developer won't work with that extraneous character in the file but sql*plus will work for the SAME file?

• 8. Re: network alias does not populate

It certainly seemed to, I only have one tnsnames file on my laptop.