2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2015 7:28 AM by SH_INT

FDMEE - Import Script - Separate Columns for DR/CR Balances

I am trying to import a pipe delimited file in FDMEE (v11.1.2.4) that has separate amount columns for debits and credits.  I need to subtract the credit column from the debit column to get the amount in the proper trial balance format.  A sample set of records is illustrated below:

Acct    |  Desc                     | Debit         | Credit

1000    |  Cash in Bank         |   5,000.00  |

1005    |  Petty Cash             |      100.00 |

2000    |  Accounts Payable  |                  |  1,250.00

I want to use a jython import script to split the record, then use column 3 and 4 to create the net balance for use in FDM.  I am able to split the record and pull the appropriate columns using the split function.  This issue I am having is when I attempt to subtract column 3 from column 4.  It appears as though the script is interpreting the fields as strings instead of numbers.  I have tried various ways of stripping out spaces/commas, etc., and converting it using the decimal and int functions but nothing seems to work.

Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

Thanks for any assistance.

• 1. Re: FDMEE - Import Script - Separate Columns for DR/CR Balances
          Dayalan Punniyamoorthy

Well i believe your should be converting it to numeric, this is the code i had for a similar requirement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dim myDebit

Dim myVar1

Dim myCredit

Dim myVar2

myVar1 = DW.Utilities.fParseString(strRecord, 10, 5, ",")

myVar2 = strField

If myVar1 ="" Then

myVar1 = 0

End If

If myVar2 ="" Then

myVar2 = 0

End If

'To avoid Type Mismatch error for CDbl, make sure first row of data file

'starts with data only, not the column names...!!!....or else you can use

'IsNumeric Function To avoid first row as below

If IsNumeric(myVar1) Then

myDebit = CDbl(Trim(myVar1))

myCredit = CDbl(Trim(myVar2))

End If

Crown_GetAmountFinal = myCredit-myDebit

End Function

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: This was on VB Script for your reference.

Regards,

Dayalan P.

• 2. Re: FDMEE - Import Script - Separate Columns for DR/CR Balances
            SH_INT

Converting the string to a numeric data type is definitely the right approach. Are you using Jython or VB Script? Can you paste an example of your failing code along with any error messages you are getting?