1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 9:02 PM by rp0428

Can i reset sys connection to out of the box, without the database i imported?

Hi all,

I'm a beginner with SQL Developer and have never used it before, but during my placement I was basically a guinea pig when it came to moving the database off the vm to make it on the local machine. I followed all the steps and had completed it successfully, including importing the data from the vm's database. However, I realised i made a mistake when importing as i had been using SYSTEM instead of SYS, and though i had imported to SYS, the table spaces and other users i had set up were under SYSTEM. However it still seemed to work.

I then started to set up bcc locally and tried to do a full deployment, however i got the error of missing view or tablespace which i assume was to do with this. SO silly me, but i deicde to just go in and edit the connection, making it point to SYS instead of system, which basically copied the database over. However it's still not working, after several long days of fiddling and I've been working on it so long that i just want to completely revert everything back to how it was before i had touched and/or ruined everything. Any help on deleting what i've done would be great, as just unistalling sql developer 4.1 doesn't make a different as as soon as i reconnect to SYS, it still has all the table spaces and other users that i had created previously.

Regards,

Becca

• 1. Re: Can i reset sys connection to out of the box, without the database i imported?
          However, I realised i made a mistake when importing as i had been using SYSTEM instead of SYS, and though i had
           imported to SYS, the table spaces and other users i had set up were under SYSTEM. However it still seemed to work.

I don't follow you.

You should NEVER create objects in either the SYSTEM or SYS schemas. NEVER! NEVER! Did I mention you should NEVER do that?

If your old DB has your objects in those schemas then I suggest you fix that problem now.

So please explain what that statement above means? What schema owns obejcts in your VM DB? How was the export done?

I then started to set up bcc locally and tried to do a full deployment, however i got the error of missing view or tablespace which i assume was to do with this.

I have NO IDEA what 'bcc' is or why you mentioned it.

SO silly me, but i deicde to just go in and edit the connection, making it point to SYS instead of system, which basically copied the database over.

That is NOT possible in Oracle. Once objects are created in a schema that schema owns the objects. It is IMPOSSIBLE to ''move' those objects. And the ONLY way you can 'copy' them is to issue DDL that creates the same object in another schema.

So you can NOT just edit a connection and cause objects to move around or 'copied the database over'.

Unless you tell EXACTLY what you did and how you did it, step by step, I don't see how we can help you.