7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 9:56 AM by Mr. C

Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data

Consultant-OC

Hi,

Can we Clone Oracle R12 Apps without the Data. Only setup data should be cloned.

Regards,

Consultant

• 2. Re: Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data
          Consultant-OC

Hi Yoonas,

Thanks for your reply. But the option in the link are guiding to isetup.

Where as in out scenario we have R12.1.3 with DB11.2.0 live since 2 years with around 600 GB data. Now we want to implement a new setup for our sister company. For this we want to use the Clone instance with the same patch level and setup but without the data of our old company. So how it is possible.

Thanks and regards,

Consultant

• 3. Re: Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data
            yoonas

I have not worked with isetup either but i from my reading i could see this can be used to migrate setup data

iSetup in a Nutshell

The main focus of iSetup is to help migrate functional setups from one E-Business Suite instance to another. During migration, setups can be extracted selectively using filters on setup attributes. Extracted setup data can be optionally transformed before loading into target instance.

https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/ten_ways_of_using_isetup_to_st

Have you studied isetup in detail?

FNDLOAD can also be used to migrate various setup data.

Tips and Examples Using FNDLOAD (Doc ID 735338.1)

In both cases you will have to have fresh install of R12 then test with above methods. Let's just wait for advise from others with more expertise in this area.

You may also create SR/MOS Community post to know what  support is suggesting  so that you can follow supported way.

• 4. Re: Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data
              Mr. C

That would mean something can separate setup data from non-setup data, on a technical level. I don't think anything like that is easy, if even possible, in eBS. But, it depends what you mean by "setup". The database copy part of eBS is pretty raw, in a way that initially we are copying files on an OS level. Now you can use RMAN, or Transportable Databases, or Import/Export, but I don't see how you are going to tell to split data into eBS setup and eBS non-setup, from Export/Import. Or from RMAN ...

• 5. Re: Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data

Hi,

I am not pretty sure about the solution, but can you review the below steps may be it will be helpful.

a) Export the data base completely without any rows.

ie export option with ROWS=N

b) then use the FNDLOAD Commands to upload all the ldt files using lct files which will load the data into all the setup tables.

c) And then you can test and then you can start creating the new transactions.

Thanks,

Srawan

• 6. Re: Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data
                  yoonas

2966873 wrote:

That would mean something can separate setup data from non-setup data, on a technical level. I don't think anything like that is easy, if even possible, in eBS. But, it depends what you mean by "setup". The database copy part of eBS is pretty raw, in a way that initially we are copying files on an OS level. Now you can use RMAN, or Transportable Databases, or Import/Export, but I don't see how you are going to tell to split data into eBS setup and eBS non-setup, from Export/Import. Or from RMAN ...

You are right i don't think either such a clear cut separation exists for 'set up data' 'non-set up data' .

There is no standard way of doing it so that you can  tell clone process to just clone as of next day you initially set up your ebs instance. If you have a complete backup right before go live of production that would best solution i guess. (provided no upgrade took place ).

I don't think getting clone of production instance without transaction data would server the purpose. There are setups once saved can not be modified again, in those cases you will definitely have unwanted setup data pertaining to your old instance.

I could be totally wrong , that was weird idea came to mind when i tried to find a solution for your case

Isetup helps to migrate data from one instance to another,  whats covered by isetup refer

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E18727_01/doc.121/e12899/T352902T383082.htm#AZ_APP_SelSet

Comparison Reports

List of what is possible with FNDLOAD is available in the following note

Tips and Examples Using FNDLOAD (Doc ID 735338.1)

• 7. Re: Clone Oracle R12 Apps Without Data
                    Mr. C

Just one thing ? Is this an idea, or have you tested this ?

I have serious question this will ever work, even if you create an 80 page document describing in detail what you are doing. Maybe it works on a database with 10 to 15 tables ... but not on eBS.