5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 12:30 PM by EdStevens

Oracle Developer VM - Unable to connect

Hi guys,

I've tried to solve this issue by myself reading all articles available in the net but I'm afraid this is a dead end.

Scenario:

OTN_Developer_Day_VM.ova downloaded from Developer Day - Hands-on Database Application Development

Appliance imported changing only memory (increasing) and network adapter (to bridge).

I've tried to connect to database with SQL Developer and SQLPlus getting these error messages:

SQL Developer:
      Listener refused the connection with the following error: ora-12514 TNS: listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.

sqlplus / as sysdba
      ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.

Database Information:

Oracle SID    : cdb1

Pluggable DB  : orcl

$ORACLE_SID = cdb1.

dba and oper groups created with groupadd

oracle user added to dba, oper and oinstall groups.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[oracle@localhost dbs]$ id oracle

uid=1000(oracle) gid=1000(oracle) groups=1000(oracle),10(wheel),990(vboxsf),1001(dba),1003(oper),1004(oinstall)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hostname 127.0.0.1

oracle restart

lsnrctl status:
      [oracle@localhost ~]$ lsnrctl status

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production on 22-JUN-2015 08:00:17

Copyright (c) 1991, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))
      STATUS of the LISTENER
      ------------------------
      Alias                     LISTENER
      Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 12.1.0.2.0 - Production
      Start Date                22-JUN-2015 07:49:42
      Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 10 min. 34 sec
      Trace Level               off
      Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
      SNMP                      OFF
      Listener Parameter File   /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
      Listener Log File         /home/oracle/app/oracle/diag/tnslsnr/localhost/listener/alert/log.xml
      Listening Endpoints Summary...
        (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=0.0.0.0)(PORT=1521)))
        (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
      The listener supports no services
      The command completed successfully

Any help with this will be much appreciated. I'm trying to solve this to prepare an exam and the fact of not being able to solve it it's killing me.

Thanks in advance.

Alfonso

• 1. Re: Oracle Developer VM - Unable to connect
          EdStevens

With what you've shown us (and no more) I'd guess the database itself is not started and thus is not registered with the listener.

• 2. Re: Oracle Developer VM - Unable to connect

Thanks EdStevens for your time and help

Theoretically, database seems to be started.

oracle@localhost etc]$ ps -ef | grep pmon

oracle    2942  2815  0 18:36 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto pmon

But when I try to shut it down, I get the following error message:

[oracle@localhost etc]$ dbshut

ORACLE_HOME_LISTNER is not SET, unable to auto-stop Oracle Net Listener

Usage: /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/bin/dbshut ORACLE_HOME

Processing Database instance "cdb1": log file /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/shutdown.log

I tried to solve this following this article dbora ORACLE_HOME_LISTENER is not set, unable to start listener

but no success either... it's a little bit frustrating for a newbie

• 3. Re: Re: Oracle Developer VM - Unable to connect
              EdStevens

022347 wrote:

Thanks EdStevens for your time and help

Theoretically, database seems to be started.

oracle@localhost etc]$ ps -ef | grep pmon

oracle    2942  2815  0 18:36 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto pmon

I don't see antything there to support your assertions that "database seems to be started."

I have no idea why it is reporting a process a '--color=auto pmon', but that is most definitely NOT an oracle pmon process.

ps should show a pmon process for the instance in question:

oracle:mydbname$ ps -ef|grep pmon
              oracle    1953     1  0 13:34 ?        00:00:00 ora_pmon_mydbname
              oracle    2016  1814  0 13:35 pts/0    00:00:00 grep pmon

And to refine the ps command so it doesn't report its own process

oracle:mydbname$ ps -ef|grep pmon|grep -v grep
              oracle    1953     1  0 13:34 ?        00:00:00 ora_pmon_mydbname

But when I try to shut it down, I get the following error message:

[oracle@localhost etc]$ dbshut

instead of a script that tries to be too clever by half, try stopping and starting the database directly, with sqlplus

shutdown:

oracle:mydbname$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.4.0 Production on Thu Sep 3 13:34:24 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2013, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
              Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production

SQL> shutdown immediate
              Database closed.
              Database dismounted.
              ORACLE instance shut down.
              SQL> exit

Startup

oracle:mydbname$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.4.0 Production on Thu Sep 3 13:34:40 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2013, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup
              ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  467652608 bytes
              Fixed Size                  2254304 bytes
              Variable Size             197134880 bytes
              Database Buffers          264241152 bytes
              Redo Buffers                4022272 bytes
              Database mounted.
              Database opened.
              SQL>

ORACLE_HOME_LISTNER is not SET, unable to auto-stop Oracle Net Listener

Usage: /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/bin/dbshut ORACLE_HOME

Processing Database instance "cdb1": log file /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/12.1.0/dbhome_1/shutdown.log

That whole 'dbshut' and 'dbora' business is pretty old.  I've never used them, mostly because I do not WANT my databases to start automatically on server startup.  I'm not even sure it WILL work with 12c.  The multitenant architecture has changed a lot, especially in terms of connecting, shutting down, and starting up.

• 4. Re: Re: Oracle Developer VM - Unable to connect

Thanks Ed for the clarification, I still have a long way to understand this new world which Oracle for me... and I like even more every day.

You're completely right, there were only assumptions... OK, if I run the command "ps -ef|grep pmon|grep -v grep  " I don't get any process with my database name.

Database Information:

When I try to connect as you mention, I get this error message. It doesn't matter if I tried it with oracle user or root.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 11:42:43 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect

descriptor

Enter user-name:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help

• 5. Re: Re: Re: Oracle Developer VM - Unable to connect
                  EdStevens

3022347 wrote:

Thanks Ed for the clarification, I still have a long way to understand this new world which Oracle for me... and I like even more every day.

You're completely right, there were only assumptions... OK, if I run the command "ps -ef|grep pmon|grep -v grep  " I don't get any process with my database name.

Database Information:

When I try to connect as you mention, I get this error message. It doesn't matter if I tried it with oracle user or root.

[oracle@localhost ~]$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 11:42:43 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:

descriptor

Enter user-name:

Thanks for your help

Maybe 12c is throwing something different into the mix, but up through 11g, that specific error with that specific syntax would indicate that you have the enviornment variable TWO_TASK set, and set incorrectly at that.  Let me explain a bit further.

There are essentially two ways to specify the database when you connect.  The syntax you used

sqlplus / as sysdba

is not specifying a net service name.  Therefore it will, by default try to establish a bequeath (inter-process -- not network) connection to the instance specified by the environment variable ORACLE_SID.

Also, as a side issue to this explanation, the '/ as sysdba' is about connection credentials and has nothing to do with specifying the database or if the connection is bequeath or network.  To specify the same connection method for a normal user - without the special sysdba privilege, it would look like this:

sqlplus myuser/mypassword

The other method looks like this:

sqlplus myuser/mypassword@mydb

In this form, Oracle net services will take a look in the client's tnsnames.ora file for an entry named 'mydb'.  That will be used to resolve the network connection routing to the db server, the port used by the listener, and specify the sid or service to connect.  If it specifies a service the listener doesn't know about you get ORA-12514. 

See ora-12514-listener does not currently know of service 

Now, you did not specify a net service name but you got the error anyway.  What's up with that?

There is another environment variable in play here.  Its name is TWO_TASK.  If you have TWO_TASK set, tns will take that as specifying a net service name, and proceed accordingly.  Let me demonstrate.

First, take a look at my tnsnames.ora.  Notice that I have 2 entries, OKLACITY and DALLAS.  Notice they both specify SERVICE_NAME=oklacity.  In actuality, oklacity is the only instance I have on this server, so setting my tnsnames this way is just giving me two different names by which to refer to oklacity for tns connections.

oracle:oklacity$ cat $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                  # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                  # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

OKLACITY =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = vblnxsrv01.localdomain)(PORT = 1521))
                      (CONNECT_DATA =
                        (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                        (SERVICE_NAME = oklacity)
                      )
                    )

DALLAS =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                      (CONNECT_DATA =
                        (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                      )
                    )

So I can specify either

oracle:oklacity$ sqlplus scott/tiger@oklacity

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 07:14:54 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                  Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
                  With the Partitioning, Automatic Storage Management, OLAP, Data Mining
                  and Real Application Testing options

SQL> exit
                  Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production

oracle:oklacity$ sqlplus scott/tiger@dallas

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 07:15:10 2015

Connected to:

SQL>

And if there is any doubt, we can know it went through the listener by looking at the listener log

05-SEP-2015 07:14:54 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=oklacity)(CID=(PROGRAM=sqlplus)(HOST=vblnxsrv01.localdomain)(USER=oracle))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.56.101)(PORT=64723)) * establish * oklacity * 0
                  05-SEP-2015 07:15:10 * (CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=oklacity)(CID=(PROGRAM=sqlplus)(HOST=vblnxsrv01.localdomain)(USER=oracle))) * (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=192.168.56.101)(PORT=64727)) * establish * oklacity * 0

Now, with that background, how does TWO_TASK figure in?

If you specify TWO_TASK, tns will take that value and treat it as your tns specification even though you did not specifically specify a tns connection on your command line.

First of all, let's change my tnsnames so that DALLAS points to a non-existing instance:

oracle:oklacity$ cat $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                  # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
                  # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

OKLACITY =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                      (CONNECT_DATA =
                        (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                      )
                    )

DALLAS =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                      (CONNECT_DATA =
                        (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                        (SERVICE_NAME = dallas)
                      )
                    )

Now, let; first set TWO_TASK to OKLACITY, and try a connection:

oracle:oklacity$ export TWO_TASK=OKLACITY

oracle:oklacity$ sqlplus scott/tiger

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 07:25:06 2015

Connected to:

SQL>

Trust me, I could show you the listener.log entry.

Now let's set TWO_TASK for DALLAS.  Remember, we have a valid tnsnames entry, but it specifies a bogus instance/service name

oracle:oklacity$ export TWO_TASK=DALLAS

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 07:26:55 2015

ERROR:
                  descriptor

Voila!  There's your error.

And if we set TWO_TASK to something that is not in tnsnames.ora

oracle:oklacity$ export TWO_TASK=fubar

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Sat Sep 5 07:28:35 2015

ERROR:
                  ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

So, you have to ask yourself, why am I setting TWO_TASK?  I've been working with ORACLE for nearly 30 years and have never seen a need for it.  It has always seemed to me to be a solution in search of a problem.