3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2015 4:42 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

Exporting DDL - Numeric column precision is * (asterisk)

user557583

When I export the DDL for a table the precision for the number columns are showing up as *. For example, NUMBER(*,0) even though they are declared with a value of 38 - NUMBER(38,0). How do I override the option so it prints the actual precision?

I need to export the DDL to compare with an model in Erwin and the compare fails due to the mismatch in precision.

Thank you for your help.

~arvind.

• 1. Re: Exporting DDL - Numeric column precision is * (asterisk)
          thatJeffSmith-Oracle

How are you exporting the DDL exactly - there's more than 1 way in SQLDev to generate DDL.

Here's how SQLDev 4.1.1 generates the table DDL in a 12.1.0.2 db when using Tools > Export

DROP TABLE "HR"."TABLE38" cascade constraints;

--------------------------------------------------------

--  DDL for Table TABLE38

--------------------------------------------------------

CREATE TABLE "HR"."TABLE38"

( "COLUMN1" NUMBER(38,0)

) SEGMENT CREATION DEFERRED

PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255

NOCOMPRESS LOGGING

TABLESPACE "USERS" ;

• 2. Re: Exporting DDL - Numeric column precision is * (asterisk)
            user557583

That is how I use Tools->Export

Mine is a 4.0.2.15 on 11.2.0.1.0. I am getting it as follows:

"BILLING_ALLOCATION_ID" NUMBER(*,0),

"BILLING_EVENT_ID" NUMBER(*,0),

• 3. Re: Exporting DDL - Numeric column precision is * (asterisk)
              thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I can spin up 11gR2 if I have to, but can you get a more recent copy of the tool to test?

Also, what does this spit out:

select DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('TABLE',OBJECT_NAME,OWNER) FROM Dba_objects where owner = :OWNER and object_name = :NAME and object_type = 'TABLE'

union all

select dbms_metadata.GET_DEPENDENT_DDL ('COMMENT', TABLE_NAME, OWNER ) FROM

(select table_name,owner from Dba_col_comments where owner = :OWNER and table_name = :NAME and comments is not null

union 

select table_name,owner from sys.Dba_TAB_comments where owner = :OWNER and table_name = :NAME and comments is not null)

union all

select DBMS_METADATA.GET_DDL('INDEX',INDEX_NAME, OWNER) FROM

(select index_name, owner from sys.Dba_indexes where table_owner = :OWNER and table_name = :NAME and generated = 'N'

minus select index_name, owner from sys.Dba_constraints where owner = :OWNER and table_name = :NAME)

union all

select dbms_metadata.GET_DDL ('TRIGGER', trigger_name ,owner ) from Dba_triggers where table_owner = :OWNER and table_name = :NAME

That's what we run to spit out DDL - so the database is responsible for all of this that you see. You can just set session preferences to shape HOW the ddl is generated.