9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2015 2:10 AM by Chiranjeevi M A

FS_CLONE

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

ebsr12.2.4

oel6

I want to run FS_CLONE, Is there a pre-requisite process before I can run it? Do I need to run adop phase=prepare?

Thanks a lot.

jc

• 1. Re: FS_CLONE
          Pravin Takpire

fs_clone is stand alone phase

Check below blog to understand better

http://skrajend.blogspot.com/2013/12/fsclone-phase-r122-online-patching-cycle.html

regards

Pravin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FS_CLONE
            Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Pravin, that is a nice blog which explains topic clearly

Can you help me find a blog like this that explain about hotpacth?  as in adop apply=patch1 hotpatch=yes

Thanks a lot.

• 3. Re: FS_CLONE
              Pravin Takpire

I would suggest you read the R12,2 maintenance guide from Oracle Documentation. This will help you understand adop better.

In hot patch patch mode with adop patches are applied to run file system only. To propogate applied patch you have to complete adop life cycle

check if this helps

ORACLE APPS DBA : adop utility in oracle apps R12.2

regards

Pravin

• 4. Re: FS_CLONE
                Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks,

But it does not explain more whats happening in hotpatch=yes vs. without it

It also mentioned the you can run all the phases in one command line????

Running all phases in single command:

adop phase=prepare, apply,finalize,cutover,cleanup patches=patch1,patch2

How or when do you run the  env run  and env patch? If you use the format above?

$ . <EBS_ROOT>/EBSapps.env run

$ adop phase=prepare

$ . <EBS_ROOT>/EBSapps.env patch

$ adop phase=apply patches=123456

$ adop phase=finalize

$ adop phase=cutover

$ adop phase=cleanup

Thanks.

• 5. Re: FS_CLONE
                  Pravin Takpire

In earlier releases of R12 and 11i , when you used to apply patches it directly applied to Appl_top and it made direct changes to database objects. That's why most of the patching was when application was down i.e users were not using. When we wanted to apply patch to earlier versions we used hotpatch mode, where application were up. Again these patches were small and very little impact. And again changes were visible to users instantly.

From R12.2 onwards there are 2 file systems, Run file system and Patch File system. Here you can apply patch when users are online and it is applied to Patch file system and not to Run file system. When both file systems are synced and then exchanged in downtime, the changes brought in by patch will visible to users. This is normal adop patching.

In case of hotpatch with adop, patches are applied to run file system and are visitble to users instantly. Again adop is used to sync file systems.

Various adop phases are used to sync the file systems. This is the basic difference between hotpatch in earlier versions and in R12.

Hope this resolves some doubt

regards

Pravin

• 6. Re: FS_CLONE
                    Bashar.

Running all phases in single command:

adop phase=prepare, apply,finalize,cutover,cleanup patches=patch1,patch2

How or when do you run the  env run  and env patch? If you use the format above?

Try sourcing the patch edition before you run that command.

Regards,

Bashar

• 7. Re: FS_CLONE
                      Beauty_and_dBest

You mean, it is not a tested procedure?

• 8. Re: FS_CLONE
                        Beauty_and_dBest

***In case of hotpatch with adop, patches are applied to run file system and are visitble to users instantly.>> adop phase=apply patches=20000145 hotpatch=yes patchtop=/home/applcrp2/patch_for_application

My question is do I need to run prepare, finalize,cutover,cleanup ?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: FS_CLONE
                          Chiranjeevi M A

JC,

Refer the below MOS:

12.2 - How To Use Online Patching Related To "Hotpatch" Mode, And Is It Possible and/or Supported To Apply Or Abort A Patch Applied To The Run Filesystem Via "Hotpatch" (Instead Of Using ADOP) (Doc ID 2054074.1)

Why is ADOP Status Still Showing "ACTIVE" if the Patch Application in "adop phase=apply hotpatch=yes" Completed Successfully? (Doc ID 1928798.1)

-Chiranjeevi M A