10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 6:14 PM by thatJeffSmith-Oracle

New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade

user961574

I've been using SQL Developer for about a decade, and never felt compelled to post anything before this.  Let me just say that the new "feature" is atrocious.

Here is just a small set of reasons why this functionality is less capable / more cumbersome / below industry standards in just about every imaginary way.

1.  CTRL-F does not bring up the Search and Replace panel, only Search.  It takes either mouse activity or several keystrokes to bring up Replace

2.  You cannot effectively navigate through the new "tool" using just keystrokes

3.  The search and replace text entry windows are tiny and not resizable

4.  The search and replace tool is no longer in a floating window, so you can't put it on another monitor - you are forced to accept less visible editor space

5.  Oftentimes when a searched-for string is in quotes in the body of the editor, Search will not find it no matter how hard you try - this is a severe bug

6.  It is typical to work on roll out and rollback scripts simultaneously.  In the past, if you had a change to make in both you would of course have to enter the Search/Replace phrases for the first window but it would remember them for the second so you could simply repeat the replace.  Now every window has it's own "Search and Replace Instance," and each instance is equally stupid and annoying.

7.  In previous versions if you double-clicked on a word or phrase, that word or phrase was then highlighted throughout the script.  Over-writing one instance of that word or phrase left the remaining instances still highlighted, so you could selectively paste over those you were looking for.  Now, you have to Search again to find each instance.  This may not specifically be search and replace functionality, but is related

There are literally thousands of applications on the market with better search and replace functionality which Oracle might have drawn upon for inspiration - either to be more like market leaders or to use ones which were truly easier to use as well as more versatile.  Instead they seem to have been determined to make SQL Developer as hard to use as possible.

• 1. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade

Your post is abusing the forum.

The forum is NOT a chat room or for posting enhancement requests or bug reports.

It is ONLY to help people with questions or issues related to using sql developer.

There is NOTHING in what you posted except personal opinion and complaints.,

Please be a good steward and use the forums appropriately.

If you have a SPECIFIC question or issue about Sql Developer then create a thread and post it along with all of the particulars needed to help you.

• 2. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

1. Ctrl+R brings up Replace with the word at cursor populated in the search field and it's also in the replace field, but selected so can you type over it

2. Define effectively. Once your selections are found, you can use the up and down arrow keys to navigate them. Pretty easy?

You can setup external editors if you'd like. If you're not happy with our editor, then you're free to use others. Many of the core IDE features, including this one, come from JDeveloper and Netbeans, with our approval and requested tweaks.

• 3. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
              user961574

, This was not an attempt at "abuse of the forum," merely expressing my frustration and yes reporting bugs.  It does look like other bugs are reported here.  Too, if my post is in the wrong place, your post is singularly unhelpful in that it does not direct me to the correct place.  If you wish good stewards, please be one by providing the correct link.

"There is NOTHING in what you posted except personal opinion and complaints.,"

Factually untrue, so please stop castigating others for reporting things which are legitimate problems.  Not finding search terms just because they are in quotes is a BUG.  Not being able to navigate the search tool with keystrokes is a USABILITY ISSUE.  These are both industry standards, and thus this tool is substandard compared to other products - that is not opinion, it is a fair evaluation.

I will post the bugs in the correct forum once you provide the correct link.

• 4. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                thatJeffSmith-Oracle

provide an example of the quotes issue, I can't reproduce. and as i said previous, i can easily navigate the search results using the keyboard

bugs are to be reported to My Oracle Support

• 5. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                  user961574

• 6. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                    user961574

"provide an example of the quotes issue,"

Cannot immediately re-create this particular issue, it was several days ago.  I recall it was in a very long script (over 1,000 lines) which among multiple other things was to cursor through catalog table to drop / re-create constraints as CASCADE instead of RESTRICT.

Thanks for pointing the way to the bug log, I will post issues there.

"as i said previous, i can easily navigate the search results using the keyboard"

See above - several of the search options have no hot keys or, if  they do, no tooltip or menu option to suggest what it is.  Yes you can tab through the all of the buttons in order; that is cumbersome and thus less functional than the old tool.

• 7. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                      thatJeffSmith-Oracle

I don't have to come to these message boards. They are for the community. I'm just a member of that community. I like to help people, so I make it a priority to spend time here.

I understand change makes people upset.

But don't come here to vent and throw a hissy fit and use terms like 'atrocious.'

I'll reply, but more to help others that come here and merely stumble upon your threads.

You'll get much better responses if you can post questions with examples and non-pejorative terms.

• 8. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                        BPeaslandDBA

I don't find the search functionality to be anywhere near "bad". In fact, the improvements in SQLDev 4.1 are a very welcome change, IMO.

I'm not sure why you feel SQL Dev's search/replace functionality is "below industry standards". I'm not aware of any such standards. Search/Replace works differently in MS Office and other such products. Even web browsers implement it differently. About the only commonality is the shortcut, CTL-F for "find". But Replace can often be different from application to application.

Just my thoughts,
                        Brian

• 9. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                          user961574

"I don't have to come to these message boards. They are for the community. I'm just a member of that community. I like to help people, so I make it a priority to spend time here."

I appreciate your help and have said so.  NO ONE has attacked or criticized you personally.  My criticisms have been for lost / broken / undocumented functionality that do not meet the standards one associates with a giant such as Oracle. 

"I understand change makes people upset."

I don't get upset by change; on the contrary I am and have been a highly paid agent of it for over 30 years.  I do however get frustrated and disappointed when functionality is removed or hidden or undocumented (under-documented?  I certainly could not find it), as is the case with this release.

"You'll get much better responses if you can post questions with examples and non-pejorative terms"

As long as you're being helpful, perhaps you can recommend a non-pejorative synonym for "atrocious?" 

Seriously, I was posting a bug list not asking questions, and as noted I now know this is the wrong forum for that.

On the other hand, I'm quite certain I never want to learn that our politically correct society has come up with such a polite word for atrocious.  Search and replace is one of the most used functions of this application, and given that I have provided a whole list of things that worked well before and don't now any description which does not convey the appropriate severity is suggestive that mediocrity is acceptable - a philosophy to which I (and I hope Oracle) do not subscribe.  Oracle is not a startup, it is a Fortune 100 and your customers expect a higher standard.  I am a customer, not an employee trying to assuage senior management that a recent release faux paus is not really as bad as it looks.

• 10. Re: New Search and Replace is an Atrocious Downgrade
                            thatJeffSmith-Oracle

So I guess I'll lock the thread then.

Atrocious Downgrade is an insult. I'm the Product Manager. I take it personally. We spend a lot of time working on the product. Sure, sometimes we get things wrong. We work hard to make it right. There are plenty of threads on here where we were in Early Adopter and folks contributed their use case and ideas to make sure we got the search right.

If you can't be professional or polite with your feedback, please don't bother. sharing it here.

əˈtrōSHəs/

adjective

horrifyingly wicked."atrocious cruelties"
                              synonyms:

brutal, barbaric, barbarous, savage, vicious, beastly; More