5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 1:05 AM by Beauty_and_dBest

Check group for EBS

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi all,

EBS R12.1.3

RHEL5.3

I always create my apps tier owner as applmgr with group dba

I also create my db tier owner as oracle with group dba as well.

I check others clients setup and I see their applmgr has group oaa. I am confused how to handle this at cloning if I change the target to dba?

I know you can use any group like aaa, bbb, abc etc. But how does it affect the apps tier or db tier? How do you handle this different group names?

Can I also change my dba group to xxx?

Please shed lights...

Thanks a lot,

jc

• 1. Re: Check group for EBS
          J. Darwish

Hi,

There are several users and groups, at least logically. First you have the Oracle Software Owner user. As the Install guide says, it is typically named "oracle", but you may choose what name you like. You can even have several install users.

Then there are three group notions: OINSTALL, the group that owns the software inventory. OSDBA and OSOPER, groups that are used to grant sysdba and sysoper to users, when connecting to instances within one or more Oracle Homes.

The operating system groups you create to implement the three can be named as you like. You can choose "orasoft" for inventory group and "oradba" and "oraoper" for the two privilege groups. Or you can use the same operating system group for all three. To grant admin access the database instances, but not software owner rights, you create some other os user and add to it group "oradba".

Please check the following link for more details:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b19075/pre_install.htm#CIHGCBBA

Hope this helps,

Please mark replies "Correct" or "Helpful" as applicable to facilitate solutions to other community participants

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Check group for EBS
            Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks

So of my source apps tier has group "oaa".  If I clone it to another server it is okay of I change it to "dba" group?

• 3. Re: Check group for EBS
              J. Darwish

Hi,

As documented in the following note, it is possible to change the group:

Cloning A Database Home And Changing The User/Group That Owns It (Doc ID 558478.1)

Hope this helps,

Please mark replies "Correct" or "Helpful" as applicable to facilitate solutions to other community participants

• 4. Re: Check group for EBS
                Pravin Takpire

yes in your instance you can have dba as group. idea is to club related users like applmgr/oracle in same group.

you can name your users like applvis/appltest/oravis (similar to applmgr/oracle only to reflect instance name). similar way you can change the group name. commonly accepted is dba

regards

Pravin

• 5. Re: Check group for EBS
                  Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks ALL