14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 5:36 PM by Bashar.

Patch editon in R12.2

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

This is Just my own opinion:

The patch file edition is not really helpful to me.

It just complicating things and make the process longer and prone to error.

And to think that you still have downtime to switch it to new patched edition.

It does making duplicate of the app tier making it bigger and longer to clone.

I still love the single file edition in 11i and 12.1.

Is is not really a big deal if for me if I enable maintenance mode when you apply patch.

My question is, in R12.2 is it okay that I install only the run edition? And do not install the patch edition?

I tested it now and it is still working without the patch file edition, just like the old 12.1 behavior.

Thanks a lot,

jc

• 1. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
          Bashar.

Hi,

I do not think that it is supported to use only one file system.

The major advantage of using this feature is reduced downtime.

For example, when version 12.2.5 is released and you want to upgrade your system then it would take 5+ hours of downtime to do it on the run file system.

Using online patching, the downtime should not exceed 20 minutes.

The duration of the downtime may not be an issue for your company but it is an important issue for many customers.

Regards,

Bashar

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
            Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Bashar,

Afaik, all oracle ebs upgrades are very very hard and complicated. Especially 11i to 12.0 to 12.1, to 12.2, so much also  with 12.2.0 to 12.2.4. They just make your brain bleed and crazy.

I just advised the customer to choose fresh install and setup.

Is the upgrade also with patch edition 12.2.4 to 12.2.5 same as complicated as the previous?

Is 12.2.5 patch available?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
              Bashar.

The upgrade from 11i to 12.2 is a lengthy process especially if you are running an old system with an old database.

An upgrade from 12.0 or 12.1 to 12.2 is much less complicated.

12.2.x to 12.2.x upgrades are much easier and shorter.

12.2.4 to 12.2.5 should be a quick upgrade.

12.2.5 is not released yet.

Regards,

Bashar

• 4. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                Pravin Takpire

Installing Fresh 12.2.4 using is not the option for customers who already have setup in 11i or R12.1.x. This will require a complete set up and what you will do with the old data. This is not a option.

If you give complete focus to documentation and read minute details, these upgrades are not complicated, these are easy one. At least now a days you have so many resources available, imagine the time when internet was not so widely available, still that time also upgrades were happening.

Before you start upgrade next time I would suggest you do following.

1.) Read Applications concepts guide

2.) Read Installation Guide

3.) Read Upgrade Guide

4.) Read Maintenance Guide

and when ever you are doing upgrade first time, document each and every step,errors/solutions/timing for each step. This will become your base for next round. Till you proceed to PROD round your documentation would be final. And same document you can use for another customer with minor changes as per env.

2 file systems introduced in R12.2.x was with some intent. Take my word I find it very easy to maintain. downtime is less.

Just be aligned with why it was done.

regards

Pravin

• 5. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                  Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

Well we just convinced 1 customer, who has 11i with 9idb I told them It is easier to fresh install than to go upgrade.  The old data can still be queried from the old system.

In fact since the users are expert with their BR100 in 11i, that they can complete the setup for 3-months on the Fresh Install R12.2.4

The target completion for the fresh install is 3-months. Would this be achievable? If yes, Then I still conclude Fresh install is the best option?

You just do not give the customer another option but this one

Thanks all.

• 6. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                    Pravin Takpire

Yes this is possible and not possible also. As DBA we wont be able to comment on setups in R12.2.X.

If functional consultants are sure to complete setup in 3 months then it is ok.

Upgrade or New Setup decision should always be considered upon efforts/costs for both options. Not just hardware and upgrade/implementation cost but also cost is involved in training user in new systems. In your case there would be cost to maintain the old system also.

Hope I am making some sense.

regards

Pravin

• 7. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                      Bashar.

Are their users familiar with 12.2?!

The BR-100 is not the same for 11i and R12.

If you expect that the full installation and implementation of R12.2 will take 3 months then you are optimistic. It is achievable but it will not be easy.

If you have experienced Apps DBA's then the upgrade can be done in less than 3 months.

The technical upgrade (without testing and post upgrade steps) can be done in about 6 weeks or less.

You should educate your customer about all the options and the risks of each option.

If they find out some day that you did not tell them about other options deliberately then you might become blacklisted!

Regards,

Bashar

• 8. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                        Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks 

But for me I considered upgrading 11i to 12.2.4 very very very risky

You may end up your work unusable or wasted.

I guess everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.

Thanks all.

• 9. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                          Pravin Takpire

there is something called as backup. Your efforts will not go waste

regards

Pravin

• 10. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                            BaskarL

Hi Jenna,

In our company we have did multiple R12.2.X upgrades from complex 11i ERP with so many bolt on applications and from R12.1.3 too.

It all depends on how we plan and execute.  Oracle documentation has all the necessary steps.  I see we havent stepped out of documentation. In our upgrade journey we have faced lot of bugs but those are resolved by Oracle and during Production Migration we had a very smooth migration.

For Production we will have dual file system as downtime for patching is always a constant time irrespective of size and number of patches.

For Non-Prod instance we can have single file system which is supported now more in R12.2.5

Baskar.l

• 11. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                              Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks for your thoughts

I wish there will be invented upgrade software which is dba friendly. You just click or run it and presto! the upgrade is done after an hour or two.

• 12. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                                Bashar.

If this software existed then the upgrade is easy enough to be automated and many people will lose their jobs.

Nothing can replace the human mind's ability to think and reason. Not in the near future, at least!

Regards,

Bashar

• 13. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                                  Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks why Oracle is making FUSION CLOUD. so the dba will not have to worry maintaining the apps.

• 14. Re: Patch editon in R12.2
                                    Bashar.

That is an option, not a replacement.

If you do not want to bother maintaining the system and do not care much about placing your data in data centers spread around the world then this is the best option for you.

Regards,

Bashar