7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 1:29 PM by Manoj Dixit

How to create a Project for a new fact?

Manoj Dixit

Hi,

Based on my understanding, a Project is dependent on an existing fact. If a new logical fact table has to be created and logical dimension tables already exist, how can I create a project containing only the dimension logical tables?

What should be an approach in this case?

Thank you.

Regards,

Manoj.

• 1. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
          Manoj Dixit

Hi,

We are currently on OBIEE 11.1.1.7.0 and have not setup MUD yet. We are evaluating suitability of enabling and using MUD. It looks like MUD is good when supporting (changes to) an already existing RPD with facts and dimensions in place. However, if there is a new fact table and / or new dimension table(s), then we can not create new projects based on new objects that are yet to be created. Can you please confirm this understanding?

If this is true, then what is the best approach similar to MUD, that is, no developer will make the changes directly to the development RPD. If the understanding is not true, then how can we create a new project?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Manoj.

• 2. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
            rmoff

You might find these slides/video useful: http://www.slideshare.net/themoff/source-control-and-concurrent-development-for-obieehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4_wj5uSmdA

It explains the options for multiple developers working on the RPD.

• 3. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
              Manoj Dixit

Thanks Robin for the reply. I cannot open the links at work.

Would you / anyone else be able to provide a short answer specific to the new project for new fact and / or dimension(s)?

Regards,

Manoj.

• 4. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
                Sagar Tippe

Dear 712241,

As you working in IT organization, you should have a smart phone. Right? So, rather than asking for a short answer again, open it on your mobile, it will not take more than 10-20 MB to see this video or ppt from slideshare. Try to appriciate the time these senior people putting here to help, WITHOUT ANY MONETORY VALUE.

Here's a lil efforts for you, within a first link only you will get indetail answer.

create a new project in obiee

• 5. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
                  Manoj Dixit

Sorry Robin, if you feel I have insulted or the like, which I did not mean at all.

Sagar, I do not feel that your response specific to using mobile at work and about seniors' time with caps on, was really necessary. As I am a paid employee surfing on my personal mobile would be an inappropriate thing to do during work hours. I am more concerned about what my colleagues would notice / observe and form an opinion about me. I am sure you'd appreciate this.

Thanks for your efforts in sending me a link. The first links's Step 12 of section Creating a project says "You must have at least one fact table in a project". My question is around this.

Being in IT I like to close issues. Same applies for this forum. How would I close a discussion/thread if I have not got an answer .... for my benefit and others'? Could you please advise?

Regards,

Manoj.

• 6. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
                    Thomas Dodds

"We are currently on OBIEE 11.1.1.7.0 and have not setup MUD yet. We are evaluating suitability of enabling and using MUD. It looks like MUD is good when supporting (changes to) an already existing RPD with facts and dimensions in place. However, if there is a new fact table and / or new dimension table(s), then we can not create new projects based on new objects that are yet to be created. Can you please confirm this understanding?"

Your BI MUD Administrator / Development manager will have to take the MUD Master RPD and put in stubs (dummy) objects or even import the true physical objects.  Add these to a new project (assign to a specific developer if appropriate) and replace the MUD Master out in the MUD Directory.  Then the developer can check out that project and there is something in which he can start from. 

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: How to create a Project for a new fact?
                      Manoj Dixit

Many thanks Thomas. This is what I was looking for. I shall try it out.

Regards,

Manoj.