7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2008 10:56 AM by 580125 RSS

POP email is downloaded as already read

Im using Outlook2003 with OCFO 9.0.4.2 to connect to my corporate oracle calendar server. I dont have the OCFO configured to use IMAP or SMTP, so what Ive done is add another pop account that uses pop3 and SMTP to download my corporate email. That email is delivered to the OCFO storage files.

Everything worked yesterday when I installed it, but now all my email is being downloaded as already read!

Please if anyone has any clue to how I can fix it I will be grateful!

Thanks,
      Bo
        • 1. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
          aholtan
          Hi Bo,

Do you use other clients then Outlook to read you mail? The web mail for instance?

I’m not sure about the settings in 9.0.4, but in 10.1.x you have a setting in Enterprise Manager where you can configure “POP General Parameters”.

Here you will find a parameter called “POP3 Retrieval” which can be set to ALL or UNREAD.
          If you set this to ALL, the POP client will download all messages to the POP client, even though you have opened the mail in a different client, but if it is set to UNREAD, only new/unread messages with be downloaded to the POP client.

Does this solve your problem, or is the case that ALL email messages you get are automatically “marked” as read?

Regards,
          André
          • 2. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
            Hi Bo,

Do you use other clients then Outlook to read you
            mail? The web mail for instance?

I’m not sure about the settings in 9.0.4, but in
            10.1.x you have a setting in Enterprise Manager where
            you can configure “POP General Parameters”.

Here you will find a parameter called “POP3
            Retrieval” which can be set to ALL or UNREAD.
            If you set this to ALL, the POP client will download
            all messages to the POP client, even though you have
            opened the mail in a different client, but if it is
            set to UNREAD, only new/unread messages with be
            downloaded to the POP client.

Does this solve your problem, or is the case that ALL
            email messages you get are automatically “marked” as
            read?

Regards,
            André
            No, this doesnt solve it. I did try it from another client though. What I did was download the mail with the OFCO connector installed, using pop3. Then all my messages came in as already read. Then I downloaded all my mail with thunderbird, and they all came in as unread.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
              Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same problem
              Thanks
              • 4. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
                Hi

I think this may be a bug - we're on Outlook 2003 with OCFO 10.1.3 and got the same problem.

Also, the email which are downloaded in Outlook opens (not when previewed) on a different Outlook form - the same as when you reply to an email.

We tried on Thunderbird, the emails are downloaded OK. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                • 5. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
                  I'm having a similar issue, althought after a little investigation I see that new incoming emails are not only showing up as already read, but they are appearing as "draft" emails according to the icon. The headr in the preview pane says "this message has not been sent". Any ideas on a fix for this?
                  • 6. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
                    I'm awakening this thread since one of my users called in with the same problem now.
                    Does anybody know more about this problem?

She is using Oracle 2003, has installed Oracle Connector for Outlook to read OCS-mail, and also have configured another mail-account (not related to OCS) as a POP account. She updated OCfO yesterday to 10.1.3.9 and now the mails in the other account, the POP account unrelated to OCS shows up according to her not as unread (i.e. bold) as expected, but as read. I think it might be that they look as drafts as another poster in this thread says, because when she tries to reply to these mails she gets the message that she is not allowed to send as this user, as if you fill inn another address in the from field in the mail.

Also, she has set the POP account as the default one, but changing it to the OCS one doesn't seem to change anything.

What can this be? Forms? Bugs? Bad carma?
                    • 7. Re: POP email is downloaded as already read
                      If you set up a POP account for incoming, set the "Leave mail on server for X days", you are then hosed. The connector doesn't play well with POP3 and once you flip the flag to keep on server, it will try to treat as IMAP (at least in the installation we have). Messages will come in showing "read", and will have a "This message has not yet been sent" tag above the subject line, and a send button.
                      I could write a small manual on different ways I have configured this but the short answer is either use the IMAP4 on the connector or don't leave mail on the server through the account setting for POP3.

Joe