5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 9:33 AM by Ibag

WHY USE CRONALOGICAL KEY

CAN U EXPLAIN WHY NEED USE CHRONALOGICAL KEY IN TIME HIRARCHY

• 1. Re: WHY USE CRONALOGICAL KEY
          Sagar Tippe

Here's why we should use chronological key if we have a Time dimension in our data model.

--

Compared to modeling an ordinary dimension, the time dimension requires just two additional steps: selecting the Time option in the Logical Dimension dialog box and designating a chronological key for every level of the dimension hierarchy.

At query time, Oracle BI Server then generates highly optimized SQL that pushes the time offset processing down to the database whenever possible, resulting in the best performance and functionality.

An example:

Designate a chronological key for every level of each dimension hierarchy. This key must meet the requirements of being sequential (the members have a natural order), cardinal (all members are spaced the same distance apart at a given level, such as day or month), and complete (no members missing). Oracle BI Server uses the chronological key to create mathematically correct time series predictions, such as “Apr + 2 months = Jun.”

You should set a chronological key for every level (except for the Grand Total level) so that you can perform time series operations on all levels with good performance. This allows you to use an AGO, TODATE, or PERIODROLLING function for any level of any time dimension hierarchy, such as fiscal month ago, calendar year ago, and day ago. As with any level key, be sure the key is unique at its level. In this example, the Day column is set as the  chronological key for the Time Detail level.

Best regards,

Sagar

http://obieenow.blogspot.in/

• 2. Re: WHY USE CRONALOGICAL KEY

thank you

• 3. Re: WHY USE CRONALOGICAL KEY
              Sagar Tippe

can you please mark and close this thread if you are satisfied by the answer given above?

Thnx,

Sagar

• 4. Re: WHY USE CRONALOGICAL KEY

if you don't mind can y tell me solution for this

ONE DIMENTION FOR TWO HIERARCHY in Business Intelligence Suite Enterprise Edition

i have requirement i need create two hierarchy calender table cantains calender year data and fiscal year data

in this case which one approach i need follow

case1>i need create alias tables two one for calender data and anethor one fiscal year table in physical layer

case 2>i need create duplicate table in bmm layer 1 table caintains calender data and anether table contain fiscal year table

which one approch is recomnded way

• 5. Re: WHY USE CRONALOGICAL KEY
                  Ibag

Hi,

This is altogether a new thread. People will respond in a separate thread. You close this thread if Sagar's response was helpful.

tnx