1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 4:05 AM by user10280724

OBIEE 12c - import catalog

dirkt

I have successfully installed 12c on Windows as a new install. And imported an 11g RPD. But I cannot figure out how to import a catalog. It is no longer done from EM. If I just replace it in the file system it doesn't work. There is a migration script but it needs access to the old install and I do not have that on the server where I installed 12c. All the export and import references I can find in the docs are using the new BAR files which I don't know if I can create from 11g. What am I missing?

• 1. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
          Gianni Ceresa

Hi,

There is a JAR you are supposed to copy on your 11g server, by running it the BAR is created, it takes your RPD, your catalog and your security. You then deploy this one on the 12c when asked to do so and you have a "copy" of your 11g running on your 12c.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
            dirkt

Gianni is correct. Look at http://docs.oracle.com/middleware/1221/core/BIMIG/toc.htm for the BI Migration Guide. There is a script that creates a package that can be moved to the 11g system and run from there to create the export. To create the package the instructions are:

1. Locate the BI Migration Script available at the following location:ORACLE_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bitools/bin/migration-tool.shReplace the ORACLE_HOME with the actual path to the 12c Oracle home you created when you installed the 12c software.
            2. Run the following command to generate the BI Migration Tool:ORACLE_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bitools/bin/migration-tool.sh package bi-migration-tool.jarReplace the ORACLE_HOME with the actual path to the 12c Oracle home you created when you installed the 12c software.Where,
              OptionDescription
              ORACLE_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bitools/binSpecifies the location of the BI Migration Script.
              packageSpecifies the BI Migration Script to perform packaging operation.
              bi-migration-tool.jarThe filename of the migtation tool jar file where the output is written. In this documentation, the bi-migration-tool.jar file is referred as the "BI Migration Tool" and the migration-tool.sh script is referred as the "BI Migration Script".
            3. Copy the BI Migration Tool to the host system from where you want to export data.

However when I run the command below from Windows I get the following results.

d:\OBIEE\user_projects\domains\bi12_dev_domain\bitools\bin>d:\OBIEE\user_projects\domains\bi12_dev_domain\bitools\bin\migration-tool package bi-migration-tool.jar

Oracle BI Migration Tool

Invalid command line arguments: This operation must be called from migration-tool.sh, it cannot be used from the jar directly

Expected arguments:

out <oracle 11g home> <domain home> <output export bundle path>

(Export from an existing system)

in [install-config] <export bundle>  <service instance name>

(Import into an existing system)

Migration action failed

• 3. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Hi,

I am also having the same issues.
              I am not able to understand the Bi Migration tool command. Can you be a little more clear on that.

Thanks,

Prasad

• 4. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Hi if you are doing 11g catalog migration in windows then you don't need to generate bi-migration-tool.jar(Oracle documentation was not clear here)

1. Go to OBIEE12 installed folder->search for "bi-migration-tool.jar" and copy this jar file to  existing OBIEE 11g Environment(lets say you copied to D drive->D:\bi-migration-tool.jar)

2. Export the OBIEE11g Environment BAR file

Go to command prompt enter below command (make sure java path is set)

java -jar D:\bi-migration-tool.jar out C:\OBIEE12C\Oracle_BI1 C:\OBIEE12C\user_projects\domains\bifoundation_domain D:\prod_export.jar

Here D:\bi-migration-tool.jar---> location of bi-migration-tool.jar file that we copied into 11G environment

D:\prod_export.jar---> location of jar file that you want to export

3. Import the BAR File into OBIEE12 Environment.

copy the exported prod_export.jar file in OBIEE 12 Environment(Lets say you copied to E Drive->E:\prod_export.jar)

Go to -> cd C:\OBIEE12C\user_projects\domains\bi\bitools\bin> and enter below command

migration-tool.cmd in E:\prod_export.jar ssi

• 5. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Hi ,

I have a problem while importing export bundle from 11g to 12c.

First ,

SEVERE: Problem during import: Plugin metadata -- oracle.bi.migration.plugin.metadata.TransformBarException: Transformation failed. Check logs for failure messages.

• oracle.bi.migration.importer.ImportProblemException: Plugin metadata -- oracle.bi.migration.plugin.metadata.TransformBarException: Transformation failed. Check logs for failure messages.

at oracle.bi.migration.plugin.metadata.MetadataImportPlugin.importData(MetadataImportPlugin.java:55)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.BundleImporter.doPluginImport(BundleImporter.java:114)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.BundleImporter.runImport(BundleImporter.java:89)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.actionspecification.ImportAction.performAction(ImportAction.java:137)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.MigrationConductor.performMigrationAction(MigrationConductor.java:115)

at oracle.bi.migration.tool.MigrationTool.go(MigrationTool.java:203)

at oracle.bi.migration.tool.MigrationTool.main(MigrationTool.java:258)

Caused by: oracle.bi.migration.plugin.metadata.TransformBarException: Transformation failed. Check logs for failure messages.

at oracle.bi.migration.plugin.metadata.TransformBar.transformBar(TransformBar.java:123)

at oracle.bi.migration.plugin.metadata.MetadataImportPlugin.importData(MetadataImportPlugin.java:44)

... 6 more

and then

SEVERE: An error occurred: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file

1. java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.actionspecification.ImportAction.finish(ImportAction.java:200)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.MigrationConductor.performMigrationAction(MigrationConductor.java:129)

at oracle.bi.migration.tool.MigrationTool.go(MigrationTool.java:203)

at oracle.bi.migration.tool.MigrationTool.main(MigrationTool.java:258)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file

at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method)

at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source)

at oracle.bi.migration.util.FileUtils.copyStreamContentToStream(FileUtils.java:48)

at oracle.bi.migration.util.FileUtils.copyFileContentToStream(FileUtils.java:22)

at oracle.bi.migration.util.ZipUtils.recursivelyAddToZip(ZipUtils.java:170)

at oracle.bi.migration.util.ZipUtils.recursivelyAddToZip(ZipUtils.java:176)

at oracle.bi.migration.util.ZipUtils.recursivelyAddToZip(ZipUtils.java:176)

at oracle.bi.migration.util.ZipUtils.compressDirectoryToZip(ZipUtils.java:139)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.BundleImporter.finish(BundleImporter.java:247)

at oracle.bi.migration.orchestration.actionspecification.ImportAction.finish(ImportAction.java:197)

... 3 more

Is there anyone who meets this problem while migrating ?  Have you any idea to solve this problem ?

• 6. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
                    Jorge Bastos

I am having the exact same problem. Did you get a solution for this? 3068122

• 7. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Hi,

Here is the solution.

I had the same issue ... I update OBIEE 11g with latest patch (PATCH - 21103263) and it should work now.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
                        Jorge Bastos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That patch is for 11.1.1.7, right? I am exporting from 11.1.1.9 :\

• 9. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
                          Arty2

Hiya

In case anyone else hits this

I also had this issue. What I realised is that I was trying to use a JAR command and the migration tool EXPORT package to import.

For example, like this, from

[ORACLE_HOME]\bi\migration-tool\jlib

run java -jar bi-migration-tool.jar in myExport.jar ssi

This is wrong!  It will give an error saying you need to specify Oracle home & Domain home - do that & try again & you get the error mentioned re locked file.

Make sure to return to

[DOMAIN HOME]\bitools\bin and

run migration-tool.cmd in myExport.jar ssi

as noted by 2912916

With this you should not get asked for Homes & it should not give the locked file error

Cheers

• 10. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
                            Andi.K.

Hi Arty2,

I am facing the same problem as described. Your suggestion does not work for me unfortunately.

Any other hints?

Someone solved this issue?

Regards,

Andi

• 11. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog
                              Arty2

Sorry Andi, I have nothing further to offer on this one. Once I did as stated in my post, for me it ran without any issue & imported with no problems.

Good luck mate

• 12. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Hi,

Migration form 11g to 12c done. In 12c I am able to see folders in catalog manager that to in ONLINE mode. I do not know the exact path where catalog folder is there. Can someone help me how to track the path of catalog or how to download like RPD ? 

Thanks

• 13. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Hi,

You can find the Catalog if successfully migrated in the following location

BI_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/service_instances/ssi/metadata/content/catalog

RPD file can be found in

BI_HOME/user_projects/domains/bi/bidata/service_instances/ssi/metadata/datamodel/customizations

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Prasad

• 14. Re: OBIEE 12c - import catalog

Thanks,

catalog location is fine. But in RPD location there is two files one file is .rpd which is very less size and another file is .rpd_1 which has greater size. When i try to open my rpd using admin tool i am not able access .rpd_1 offline mode.

Can you please explain about this ?

And i am new to OBIEE domain. I am little worried about roles, privileges ,groups and some other terms. can you please share some references so that i can learn more about OBIEE 11g or 12c ?

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next