7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 9:42 PM by Beauty_and_dBest

EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage

Beauty_and_dBest

Hi ALL,

ALL EBS

RHEL

I understand that when we sell EBS to customers, they are thinking they will use it for a long time to save cost since this product expensive.

But the limitation is, the server gets depreciated and outdated or crashed after 4 years. Then new powerful and cheaper servers will come out, but the old OS after such time are no longer supported.

In this regard, can we use VMbox to host the old OS so that we can still use the EBS for a long time like 10 years? Is this a viable solution?

Thanks a lot,

jc

• 1. Re: EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage
          Pravin Takpire

Before trying to predict how would be scenario after few years, you need to understand why upgrades are required. Upgrades always bring the new features which are having advantages in many ways. be it the upgrade of OS or Software here in this case is Oracle Applications. Always upgrade decision would be based on Cost Associated with keeping the current system and upgrading the system. also it depends upon the support that you getting from vendors lile Oracle and OS suppliers.

As of now also I know few clients which are still having old 11.0.3 ERP systems which are running on very old OS versions and at same time there are clients which are always on latest OS and Oracle apps versions.

You can keep your old system for time as long as you can support it, You can have OS on VM as long as it is supported combination

regards

Pravin

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage
            Jignesh Makwana

Hello,

I Agree with the pravin reply; also I am heaving same concern, along with the hardware cost there are some other cost as well (DC, admin resource) it would be best if Oracle certified the WAS cloud for this so those cost can be reduced.

can we use VMbox to host the old OS so that we can still use the EBS for a long time like 10 years? Is this a viable solution

VMbox is not certified with EBS. if you want virtualization then you must have to use Oracle VM.

Regards,

Jignesh

• 3. Re: EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage
              Beauty_and_dBest

Thanks Jig,

Is Oracle VM free to download?

For  example, our current setup is:

EBS R12.2.4

RHEL 6.5

10 years from now, RHEL 6 will not be supported anymore with the latest hardware versions coming out in the market.

Will latest version of Oracle VM 10 yrs from now still supports RHEL 6?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage
                ora_tech

Hi,

10 years from now, RHEL 6 will not be supported anymore with the latest hardware versions coming out in the market.

Will latest version of Oracle VM 10 yrs from now still supports RHEL 6?

Are you sure after 10 years you will be using the same EBS release - R12.2.4 ??

regards,

X A H E E R

• 5. Re: EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage
                  Beauty_and_dBest

Well, why not? , if the company can save money not to buy new app, and if it is still working effectively in the company's business.

I heard there are still old apps using  8i and still working fine.

Thanks Xaheer and ALL

• 6. Re: EBS installation for 5 - 10 years usage
                    ora_tech

Hi,

Well, why not? , if the company can save money not to buy new app, and if it is still working effectively in the company's business.

I heard there are still old apps using  8i and still working fine

So same version of VM will also work till that time and your company can save same more money for OS and virtualization as well

regards,

X A H E E R