SQL Developer is not updating externally modified files. Not sure if the bug is already reported. IMHO the bug was introduced with version 4. Just tested with version 4.1.2 from 23.10.2015 -> the bug is still present. OS: Windows 7 x64, JDK included or external.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open SQL Developer (inst_1) via Win Desktop Shortcut to the main sqldeveloper.exe (and NOT via sqldeveloper/bin/sqldeveloper.exe or something)
2. Move file example.sql from Windows Explorer to inst_1
3. Modify the file externally, tested Notepad++ and tortoisesvn Diff.
4. Go to isnt_1 -> file is updated.
5. Open SQLDev (inst_2) via same shortcut as in (1).
Just would like to mention that the behavior changed compared to 3.2.2.
In 3.2.2, when launching a second instance of SQLDev, the tool opened last saved "session" (opended files like a.sql, b.pkb etc.). When closing the second instance, SQLDev
asked if to save the (/AppData/Roaming/... or whatever the location of user config is).
In 4.1.2, when launching a second instance SQLDev, the tool opens a new "session", no previously opened files are present. When closing the second instance, SQLDev
is not asking but silently saving. Not sure, if there is a second local user config in 4.1.2 and only one in 3.2.2.
6. Move file example.sql from Windows Explorer to inst_2
7. Modify the file externally, tested Notepad++ and tortoisesvn Diff, or modify in inst_2.
8. Go to isnt_1 -> file is NOT updated. Changes only appear in inst_1
Tried to play with checkboxes "Silently Reload..." and others -> no success, inst_1 files are not updating.
The bug is not reproducible in version 3.2.2 -> doesn't matter how many instances you launch -> opened files are always in sync.
Could you please try to reproduce and fix?
Thanks in advance for your feedback,
if you want to report bugs, please use My Oracle Support.