1 person found this helpful
You probably want to check your Windows registry (using Windows Start button > Run > regedit) to verify that...
1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > sql_auto_file > shell > open > command value points to the correct sqldeveloper.exe.
2. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > Applications > sqldeveloper.exe > shell > open > command value points to the correct sqldeveloper.exe.
It should be enough to point to the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper.exe rather than one of the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin exe's.
If these registry entries exist and you upgraded to a new SQL Developer install, one or more of these may contain values for the prior install. Also, it won't hurt to use regedit's Find Next feature to search out and remove other references to prior sqldeveloper.exe releases.
Edit: For a prior discussion with even more details, see... sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working
Thanks for your quick answer, I checked my regedit and this is what I found:
For the Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sql_auto_file\shell\open\command the value is the following, the path is consistent with the folder in which I decompressed the media.
This other key is not in the registry.
I also found this other keys with the same value than the first one.
But, what really made the trick for me it's that regardless the number of different registry entries I may have, I noticed from the other thread (sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working) that the command must be something like this:
"C:\Users\Aperez\Downloads\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper.exe" "%1" %*
With the %* at the end, which in my case it was missing from the command in some of the registry entries.
So what I did was to make sure all the commands had the exact same form uncluding the %* at the end, and that's it.
I even made sure the change persisted after a couple of reboots which in some forums people mentioned that whatever the fix was, sometimes the change gets wiped out after a windows reboot.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Gary.
I just confirmed that this issue is recurrent, if you happend to restart your Windows PC a couple of times, the issue comes back, not sure whats going on.
I have to follow this steps every time I get this error:
- Remove all Registry entries with the text sql_auto_file (in the entire registry)
- Reboot Windows
- Associate the SQL files with the sqldeveloper.exe program
This is so annoying......
This is so annoying......
And if you happen to switch frequently between releases of SQL Developer (or even change between 32-bit and 64-bit JDKs on releases prior to 4.0), then you probably never want to double-click from Windows Explorer. The "latest" associated exe in the Windows registry may not be pointing to the release you want or expect. You can always safely double-click from the View > Files navigator within SQL Developer, however.