4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 12:16 AM by Gary Graham-Oracle

SQL Developer 4.1.2 (64 Bit) Crashes on MS Windows 7 When Double Clicking SQL Script File to Open

Angel Perez

Help needed, please.

It is documented in Oracle Support (Doc ID 1968020.1) that the solution to this problem on the version 4.0 is to select sqldeveloper.exe as the "Opening with" application.

For the version 4.1.2 the instructions on the support document does not fix the problem and I'm still unable to open a sql file by double clicking it from the Windows Explorer Window.

I'd appreciate if anyone could give me some piece of advise.

Thank you!

SYMPTOMS:

1. Open SQL Developer, Select Menu File > Open & select required SQL script file it opens & works fine.
      2. If the SQL Developer application is closed & If you Double click on the SQL script file it opens & works fine.
      3. If SQL Developer is already opened and If you try to open a SQL script file by Double clicking, then it crashes with below error.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: sqldeveloper64W.exe

Application Version: 4.1.2.20

Application Timestamp: 52c7284e

Fault Module Name: StackHash_595c

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23226

Fault Module Timestamp: 560d75c3

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 00000000000be7d2

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 595c

Additional Information 2: 595c8aa9babb4f195c4f88ece8fe9d3f

Additional Information 3: 97f3

Additional Information 4: 97f3989c9de8ec63e024cd0f5ae74114

• 1. Re: SQL Developer 4.1.2 (64 Bit) Crashes on MS Windows 7 When Double Clicking SQL Script File to Open
          Gary Graham-Oracle

You probably want to check your Windows registry (using Windows Start button > Run > regedit) to verify that...

1. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > sql_auto_file > shell > open > command value points to the correct sqldeveloper.exe.

2. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > Applications > sqldeveloper.exe > shell > open > command value points to the correct sqldeveloper.exe.

It should be enough to point to the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper.exe rather than one of the sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin exe's.

If these registry entries exist and you upgraded to a new SQL Developer install, one or more of these may contain values for the prior install.  Also, it won't hurt to use regedit's Find Next feature to search out and remove other references to prior sqldeveloper.exe releases.

Edit:  For a prior discussion with even more details, see... sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SQL Developer 4.1.2 (64 Bit) Crashes on MS Windows 7 When Double Clicking SQL Script File to Open
            Angel Perez

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your quick answer, I checked my regedit and this is what I found:

For the Key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\sql_auto_file\shell\open\command the value is the following, the path is consistent with the folder in which I decompressed the media.

"C:\Users\Aperez\Downloads\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper.exe" "%1"

This other key is not in the registry.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\sqldeveloper.exe\shell\open\command

I also found this other keys with the same value than the first one.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\sql_auto_file\shell\open\command

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2290681792-2343282785-285435603-314519\Software\Classes\sql_auto_file\shell\open\command

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2290681792-2343282785-285435603-314519_Classes\sql_auto_file\shell\open\command

But, what really made the trick for me it's that regardless the number of different registry entries I may have, I noticed from the other thread (sqldeveloper64W.exe has stopped working) that the command must be something like this:

"C:\Users\Aperez\Downloads\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper.exe" "%1" %*

With the %* at the end, which in my case it was missing from the command in some of the registry entries.

So what I did was to make sure all the commands had the exact same form uncluding the %* at the end, and that's it.

I even made sure the change persisted after a couple of reboots which in some forums people mentioned that whatever the fix was, sometimes the change gets wiped out after a windows reboot.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Gary.

Bye!

• 3. Re: SQL Developer 4.1.2 (64 Bit) Crashes on MS Windows 7 When Double Clicking SQL Script File to Open
              Angel Perez

I just confirmed that this issue is recurrent, if you happend to restart your Windows PC a couple of times, the issue comes back, not sure whats going on.

I have to follow this steps every time I get this error:

1. Remove all Registry entries with the text sql_auto_file (in the entire registry)
              2. Reboot Windows
              3. Associate the SQL files with the sqldeveloper.exe program

This is so annoying......

• 4. Re: SQL Developer 4.1.2 (64 Bit) Crashes on MS Windows 7 When Double Clicking SQL Script File to Open
                Gary Graham-Oracle

This is so annoying......

And if you happen to switch frequently between releases of SQL Developer (or even change between 32-bit and 64-bit JDKs on releases prior to 4.0), then you probably never want to double-click from Windows Explorer.  The "latest" associated exe in the Windows registry may not be pointing to the release you want or expect.  You can always safely double-click from the View > Files navigator within SQL Developer, however.